New England Agile Bazaar August meeting

  • onlyareminder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22 12:10 PM
      What: New England Agile Bazaar August meeting
      Topic: Getting Managers and Engineers Out of Each Others Hair
      Speaker: Damon Poole
      When: Thursday August 5 6pm - 9pm
      Where: IBM Innovation Center, North Entrance, 404 Wyman Street, Waltham
      Cost: Free. Food, courtesy of our sponsors

      Details and Registration at http://www.agilebazaar.org

      ------------------- SPONSORS
      AccuRev http://www.accurev.com/
      Avid http://www.avid.com/
      BigVisible Solutions http://www.bigvisible.com/
      Constant Contact http://www.constantcontact.com/
      IBM http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
      Lean-Agile Partners http://www.leanagilepartners.com/
      Rally Software http://www.rallydev.com/
      VersionOne http://versionone.com/

      ------------------- ABSTRACT

      As a manager, you have heard a lot about the benefits of self-organizing teams, but you are not sure where to start. You suspect self-organization may lead to chaos. You could take a leap of faith, set self-organization as a goal, and then look for ways to achieve self-organization. But there is another way.

      We will cover self-organization from the bottom up using concrete examples of twelve widely adopted Agile practices: user stories, story points, product owner, product backlog, standup meetings, whole teams, collocation, assignment and estimation of tasks by team members, short iterations, Scrum master, burn-up charts, and retrospectives.

      You will learn how each practice contributes to self-organization by reducing and/or redistributing traditional management activities. These practices also help to reduce the temptation to get wrapped up in the details; provide a framework for delegation, communication and coordination; encourage team ownership, commitment and accountability; and create management artifacts that are appreciated by all.

      The inevitable question that results from talking about self-organization is: what does a manager do in an Agile workplace? We will wrap up with a group exercise that not only answers that question, but also shows that Agile provides more leverage for managers to use the skills they already have.

      Our Speaker:

      Damon Poole - Founder and CTO of AccuRev

      Damon Poole is Founder and CTO of AccuRev, a leading provider of Agile Development tools. Damon is a methodology and process improvement expert specializing in helping companies discover and implement their ideal process. His twenty years of experience spans the gamut from small collocated teams all the way up to 10,000-person shops doing global development. Damon is Vice President and President Emeritus of the Agile Bazaar (http://agilebazaar.org) in Boston and is a Certified Scrum Master. He writes frequently on the topic of Agile development, is the author of the web book Do It Yourself Agile, and a pioneer in the area of Multistage Continuous Integration. Damon has spoken at SD Best Practices, Q-Con, ESDC, Agile 2008 and 2009, and Agile Development Practices and will also be speaking at Agile 2010. He has done Agile consulting with numerous companies including Ford, Intercall, ITA Software, Orbitz, Texas Instruments, and Verizon Wireless. He earned his BS in Computer Science at the University of Vermont in 1987. His Do It Yourself Agile blog is at http://damonpoole.blogspot.com.

      ****Register at http://www.agilebazaar.org****

      ------------------- UPCOMING EVENTS

      - Thursday 09/02/10: September monthly meeting
      Topic to be announced soon!

      ------------------- ABOUT AGILE BAZAAR

      New England Agile Bazaar is the leading community of Agile enthusiasts, practitioners, and learners in New England. Based in Boston, we are committed to fostering a greater knowledge of Agile values and practices. We are a learning community focused on broadening our own understanding as well as spreading that knowledge to the broader community of professionals in the area.

      New England Agile Bazaar is both an Agile Alliance affiliate and an ACM chapter.