Here we go again

  • eliga_repoleved
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 27, 2010
      Hey there experienced folks,

      How to you handle a request to death march for a short while, -- given that your programming team is already working at a very high level of quality (a result of following *all* of the xp engineering practices).

      Some background: I am the lead of a programming team that has been producing high value, very very low defect software for about 2 years. We really do follow all of the xp engineering practices, of course there are always areas to improve. I find myself back in the position that happens repeatedly in the software industry -- a sales person has promised a product by a specific date. Despite the already high output of my team, management is asking for a death march to meet the date set by said sales person.

      How do you handle this situation?
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 5, 2010
        Hello, George. On Thursday, August 5, 2010, at 10:29:39 PM, you
        wrote:

        >> This could be done, I should think, by publishing velocity figures
        >> and story sizes.

        > I'm not convinced that publishing such numbers will do any good. I
        > think it still take a conversation (rather, frequent conversations) to
        > make such numbers understandable.

        Oh certainly

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Mentor/be mentored: the Agile Skills Project
        http://www.agileskillsproject.com/
        http://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/