life-cycle profits and software development as a service

  • Michael Avila
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2010
      I'm working my way through The Principles of Product Development Flow and I
      have a question.

      One of the key points is to use *life-cycle profits* as the unit of measure
      when measuring the economic impact of decisions. The emphasis seems to be on
      making all decisions around their economic impact. This isn't surprising if
      you've read Reinersten's other books. Here's where my trouble is: I
      completely understand in the context of product development, but that's not
      exactly what my company does. We essentially develop software products for
      people as a service. The key thing is that the we don't benefit from the
      life-cycle profits of the products we develop.

      I'm curious what your opinions are regarding this idea of life-cycle profits
      in the context of software product development as a service. Does it work
      for us? Or if not is there something comparable?