[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 10 6:26 AM
      Hi Clive,

      > Sounds like it could be a good analogy. All we can ever do is tell
      > people what we tried, and how we felt it worked. Until they try it for
      > themselves, we don't know it will work for them. We can have a pretty
      > good idea, of course, if we've run enough restaurants ...

      This is it. We will never know for sure whether something will work for us, just because it worked for someone else. We will never be certain. This is what I've been getting at (rather badly it seems) all along. it isn't a precise science and we need to be willing to embrace the unknown.

      If I find out that 95% of people whose context correlate well with my own had positive things to say about an approach, then I am more likely to give it ago and persevere with it when the going gets tough, then if it was only say 5%. No guarantees just useful data.

      Good social scientists except this as given. We don't and I wonder why?

      Paul.
    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14 6:06 AM
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...