[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi Steven,

      I've got my own views why we always end up down the same rabbit hole. So I agree with the sentiment, but that is different from "there is nothing to learn". Please see my comments:

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

      > We can learn a lot about human perceptions, opinions, attitudes and
      > biases. In some worlds, such as marketing, perception is reality.

      In any world where we only have subjective means of measurement then perception is reality. If my customers are extremely happy with the results of my labours, who am I to say they are wrong?

      > In most other worlds, perceptions affects reality and can also provide clues
      > about reality, but they are not reality.

      I can get all phylisophical here, but how do you define reality? I'm curious.

      People's perceptions about agile
      > projects can help identify misconceptions that need to be addressed,
      > expectations that need to be set coming in, etc. Inferring that perceptions
      > as to what is good or bad about agile reflects what really does and does not
      > work in agile seems flawed to me,

      Good/Bad. That's the problem - two valued thinking which doesn't allow for grey or differences in opinion. If you say it works for you then it works for you. Now if 95% of people in your same situation say it doesn't work for them, then to me that is valuable data.

      > If your purpose is to market agile, RUP, CMMI, etc., then qualitative
      > surveys could indeed provide useful information. If your purpose is to
      > learn how to make agile, RUP, CMMI, etc. actually work more effectively (as
      > opposed to being marketed more effectively), I think it is dangerous to
      > confuse perception and reality.

      My goal isn't to market, my goal is to understand. Peoples perceptions are extremely important if I want to understand why they do what they do. I don't believe there is this objective truth. There are things that people think work and things that they think don't. If someone tells me that something is working for them, then to me that is a data point.

      Paul.
    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...