Re: [XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      We can learn a lot about human perceptions, opinions, attitudes and
      biases. In some worlds, such as marketing, perception is reality.

      In most other worlds, perceptions affects reality and can also provide clues
      about reality, but they are not reality. People's perceptions about agile
      projects can help identify misconceptions that need to be addressed,
      expectations that need to be set coming in, etc. Inferring that perceptions
      as to what is good or bad about agile reflects what really does and does not
      work in agile seems flawed to me,

      If your purpose is to market agile, RUP, CMMI, etc., then qualitative
      surveys could indeed provide useful information. If your purpose is to
      learn how to make agile, RUP, CMMI, etc. actually work more effectively (as
      opposed to being marketed more effectively), I think it is dangerous to
      confuse perception and reality.

      Steve

      On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steven,
      >

      > > Do you mean to ask is there nothing to be learned by collecting
      > quantitative
      > > data from lots of agile projects instead of participating in individual
      > > agile projects?
      >
      > No I mean isn't there nothing to be learned from qualitative data?
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_data
      >
      > I know the two words look similar, but I did say /qualitative/.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Paul.

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...