[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Just to clarify. There use to be an ad on TV for cat food that went something like this

      "... When asked to express a preference 8 out of 10 owners said their cat preferred it".

      Now to me this is qualitative data. It doesn't say anything though about the qualitative method used to collect the data:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_method

      I am saying shouldn't we try and get better at applying qualitative methods? Is there nothing to be learned by doing so?

      Paul.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "PAUL" <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steven,
      >
      > > Do you mean to ask is there nothing to be learned by collecting quantitative
      > > data from lots of agile projects instead of participating in individual
      > > agile projects?
      >
      > No I mean isn't there nothing to be learned from qualitative data?
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualitative_data
      >
      > I know the two words look similar, but I did say /qualitative/.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Paul.

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...