Re: [XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:06 PM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      > Hi Steven,
      >
      > Are we unique in this regard? Is their nothing that can be learned?

      Of course, there is much to be learned. Doing agile is about
      continuously learning during each project and collaboratively applying that
      learning during that project and future.

      Do you mean to ask is there nothing to be learned by collecting quantitative
      data from lots of agile projects instead of participating in individual
      agile projects? Combining quantitative data before understanding what that
      data means in the contect of each project is a lazy short cut which will not
      produce any valid understandings.

      But, we can perhaps systematically learn cross-project lessons if we collect
      and appropriately analyze information in the context of individual projects,
      and then appropriately synthesize what is learned from studying each
      individual project.

      I see know reason to scientifically prove that agile is best because a
      company who is happy with how they are developing software should not switch
      to agile software development anyway (such a conversion is doomed to failure
      because the organizational changes are too expensive and painful to be
      sustained unless the organization honestly believes they would fail if they
      would continue doing things the way they had been).

      If a company is unhappy with how they are currently developing software, I
      believe the case for agile should be built on the specific problems they are
      experiencing, not longitudinal studies that indicate agile is "successful".
      The company has to understand how agile will help them address their
      specific problems to succeed. A longitudinal study that shows agile is more
      successful than brandX would just paint agile as a "silver bullet", which
      will start the agile conversion off on the wrong foot. A company that will
      continue doing what they can see is failing just because there is no such
      longitudinal study is unlikely to succeed at agile.

      I am personally convinced that agile is the best way to do novel,
      challenging software development projects.

      I personally do not care whether or not agile is the best way to build
      run-of-the-mill software, because I am totally uninterested in developing
      run-of-the-mill software.

      I personally do not care if everyone agrees, because I welcome the chance to
      kick the ass of whoever wants to compete with whatever company I am working
      for/with using non-agile methods.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Paul.

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...