Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi Laurent,

      Skimmed the article, and I think it is falling into a common pitfall. The idea of absolute truth and that we can definitively know everything if only we try hard enough. It is the Newtonian view of a clock work world.

      Science has moved beyond that view and as embraced the unknown. So we can't say Agile works or doesn't work. We can't say that this or that practice improves the possibility of success by X%. So we need to let go of this level of knowing.

      There are other useful things we can say though. We can say how people feel about certain practices in varying contexts. We can talk about peoples perceptions. This is no different to the "Communities of Practice" method of learning the article speaks of.

      Now we can dismiss this data as unscientific and based on bias, but if we do I think we are giving up a whole lot.

      Regards,

      Paul.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

      > Hi Paul, Steve,
      >
      > This article, "When Agile Met Data", may be relevant:
      >
      > http://www.paskaward.org/publications/bossavit100225.html
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Laurent Bossavit
      > laurent@...

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...