[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi Steven,

      Maybe the specific of your own experience are informative. Did you find the study you helped with useful? What value did the social scientist find? Did you agree?

      Regards,

      Paul.
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

      > Paul,
      >
      > Agile is locally empirical - how individual collections of collaborating
      > people solve problems and deliver value in their evolving situation over
      > time through repeated feedback, retrospection, consensus building and
      > adaptation. Common patterns emerge, but not so much specific
      > repeatability. Reduction of variation is counter-productive to individuals
      > solving their problems in the way they find to work best in their context.
      >
      > All of this flies in the face of the tradition manage-by-data crowd (for
      > example, Six Sigma and CMMI).
      >
      > Collecting cross-contextual data (as opposed to individual in-context case
      > studies) smells of looking at the overall forest, whereas all the action and
      > meaning in Agility is to be found in the individual trees.
      >
      > I cannot speak to whether this feeling is the root cause of the tendencies
      > of the agile community.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Steven,
      > >

      > > > Social scientists know how to gather this kind of data in a way that
      > > > controls for biases. They do not just throw a survey out on the internet
      > > > and apply statistics blindly to the results.
      > >
      > > Make sense.
      > >

      > > > Social scientist also couple surveys with interviews and observations
      > > with
      > > > carefully designed protocols.
      > >
      > > Now you say it. I was aware of this.
      > >

      > > > The results were publishable in social science journals, but
      > > > mainstream computer science considered the results irrelevant.
      > > >
      > > This is what worries me. My post wasn't in response to yours. I was talking
      > > about a general tendency I've noticed. Why do you think that is?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Paul.
      > >

      > > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > from a
      > > significance;
      > > biases

      > > but
      > > respondents

      > > people

      > > <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>

      > > organization

      > > draw

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...