[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi Steven,

      Are we unique in this regard? Is their nothing that can be learned?

      Regards,

      Paul.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

      > Paul,
      >
      > Agile is locally empirical - how individual collections of collaborating
      > people solve problems and deliver value in their evolving situation over
      > time through repeated feedback, retrospection, consensus building and
      > adaptation. Common patterns emerge, but not so much specific
      > repeatability. Reduction of variation is counter-productive to individuals
      > solving their problems in the way they find to work best in their context.
      >
      > All of this flies in the face of the tradition manage-by-data crowd (for
      > example, Six Sigma and CMMI).
      >
      > Collecting cross-contextual data (as opposed to individual in-context case
      > studies) smells of looking at the overall forest, whereas all the action and
      > meaning in Agility is to be found in the individual trees.
      >
      > I cannot speak to whether this feeling is the root cause of the tendencies
      > of the agile community.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:16 PM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi Steven,
      > >

      > > > Social scientists know how to gather this kind of data in a way that
      > > > controls for biases. They do not just throw a survey out on the internet
      > > > and apply statistics blindly to the results.
      > >
      > > Make sense.
      > >

      > > > Social scientist also couple surveys with interviews and observations
      > > with
      > > > carefully designed protocols.
      > >
      > > Now you say it. I was aware of this.
      > >

      > > > The results were publishable in social science journals, but
      > > > mainstream computer science considered the results irrelevant.
      > > >
      > > This is what worries me. My post wasn't in response to yours. I was talking
      > > about a general tendency I've noticed. Why do you think that is?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Paul.
      > >

      > > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > from a
      > > significance;
      > > biases

      > > but
      > > respondents

      > > people

      > > <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>

      > > organization

      > > draw

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...