[XP] Re: Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • PAUL
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 8, 2010
      Hi Steven,

      > Social scientists know how to gather this kind of data in a way that
      > controls for biases. They do not just throw a survey out on the internet
      > and apply statistics blindly to the results.

      Make sense.

      > Social scientist also couple surveys with interviews and observations with
      > carefully designed protocols.

      Now you say it. I was aware of this.

      > The results were publishable in social science journals, but
      > mainstream computer science considered the results irrelevant.

      This is what worries me. My post wasn't in response to yours. I was talking about a general tendency I've noticed. Why do you think that is?

      Regards,

      Paul.

      extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > One cannot measure how much bias there is in a promiscuous survey, so
      > > > statistical significance is irrelevant. (Surveying a random sample from a
      > > > preselected sample with known biases can yield statistical significance;
      > > > making a survey available to a self-selected sample with unknown biases
      > > is a
      > > > different story.)
      > > >
      > > > Such survey results are good fodder for thinking about the issues, but
      > > not a
      > > > reliable source of statistical conclusions no matter how many respondents
      > > > there were.
      > > >
      > > > Even if there were conclusions to be made, they would be about how people
      > > > think about Agile and organizations, not about how agile actually
      > > functions
      > > > in organizations. Like Jeff, I much appreciate the disclaimer to that
      > > > effect.
      > > >
      > > > Steven Gordon

      > > <extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > After a

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...