Results are in on organizational culture survey

  • Michael Spayd
    Message 1 of 55 , Jul 6, 2010
      Dear XP Community,

      Back in May, I asked for your help doing research on organization culture
      and Agile. Thank you so much to all of you who took the survey! After a
      longer delay than I anticipated, the results are now in!

      The research is based on the organizational culture typology of my
      colleague, Bill Schneider (http://www.cdg-corp.com/products.html). The
      survey was a 10-item questionnaire based on 10 of Schneider's 20 culture
      levers of organization culture.

      For a long time, I have believed that a good Agile team seeks to develop a
      specific type of culture, one of four identified by Schneider. The results
      of the survey (taken by over 120 people) confirm that the ideal Agile
      culture in the minds of practitioners across all levers is a Collaboration
      culture (47% preference overall). The unexpected secondary finding was that
      Cultivation culture type was a very strong second (41% preference).
      Competence (9%) and Control (3%) were measured at quite low levels. There
      are individual instances where--for a given cultural lever (things like
      Power & Influence or Approach with Customers)--the Competence culture type
      is second strongest rather than third.

      A secondary hypothesis of the research was that the 'big three' Agile
      methods: Scrum, XP and Lean-Kanban, might have different underlying core
      culture preferences. On the whole, the research did *not *support this
      conclusion. Again, there is a minor pattern for a few culture levers where
      Competence is a bit stronger for XP and Lean-Kanban practitioners than for
      Scrum, though it is *never *the strongest for a lever, only second
      strongest.

      There are significant implications for implementing Agile in Control or
      Competence culture organizations, where Agile is going against the cultural
      grain. We all have felt this strain, so it is not a surprising finding, but
      it can be helpful to have specific language for why and how that is so and
      what to do about it.

      For a much more complete summary, please see the writeup on my blog,
      including a description of each of the four cultures:
      http://collectiveedgecoaching.com/2010/07/agile__culture/

      And, for those attending Agile 2010 in Orlando, I will be providing more
      details in my tutorial Blueprint for an Agile
      Enterprise<http://agile2010.agilealliance.org/schedule.html>on Monday
      afternoon.

      Again, thank you for your support of this research!

      Best wishes,
      Michael

      --
      Collective Edge Coaching, llc
      "Helping teams to perform, and organizations to transform."

      --
      Collective Edge Coaching, llc
      "Helping teams to perform, and organizations to transform."
      www.collective-edge.com
      Michael K. Spayd, Principal & Chief Sage
      (720) 300.5286 - (USA)
      michael@...

      --
      Collective Edge Coaching, llc
      "Helping teams to perform, and organizations to transform."
      www.collective-edge.com
      Michael K. Spayd, Principal & Chief Sage, ORSCC
      (720) 300.5286 - (USA)
      michael@...

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 55 of 55 , Jul 14, 2010
        Hi Paul,
        > Well done! Keeps us all posted. In fact can you tells us more?

        I'm just getting things off the ground at the moment, so I may have
        more to tell in a few months. The initiative is called Institut Agile
        and aims at two things, growing the agile business ecosystem and
        getting agile on the map as a research topic on an equivalent footing
        to "software engineering". The scope is (for now) local to France. One
        of the first items on the roadmap is to start establishing a database
        of projects for the purposes of those longitudinal studies I mentioned
        in the article I posted earlier. Another is to get in touch with
        everyone I can find doing research on agile practices (typically in
        software engineering departments) and put them in touch with each other.

        Cheers,
        Laurent Bossavit
        laurent@...