New England Agile Bazaar July meeting

  • onlyareminder
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2010
      What: New England Agile Bazaar July meeting
      Topic: Products and People over Process and Dogma
      Speaker: David Hussman
      When: Thursday July 1 6pm - 9pm
      Where: IBM Innovation Center, North Entrance, 404 Wyman Street, Waltham
      Cost: Free including food, courtesy of our sponsors

      Details and Registration at http://www.agilebazaar.org

      ------------------- SPONSORS
      AccuRev http://www.accurev.com/
      Avid http://www.avid.com/
      BigVisible Solutions http://www.bigvisible.com/
      Constant Contact http://www.constantcontact.com/
      IBM http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
      Lean-Agile Partners http://www.leanagilepartners.com/
      Rally Software http://www.rallydev.com/
      VersionOne http://versionone.com/

      ------------------- ABSTRACT

      The time has come to shift our focus away from process to products and people. Ten years into the agile movement, yesterday's fresh, lightweight processes are gaining weight and calcifying to a dangerous degree.

      Agile practices are powerful tools, but should no longer be the focus of daily discussion. Real value flows as development agility augments design thinking and continually discovers the context of your product: users, use and market. From design thinking, to lean start-ups, to the value of simple checklists, this talk will challenge you to stop focusing on improving your process and start focusing on improving your product. Come ready to think, question and rethink your use of agile practices.

      Our Speaker:

      David Hussman - Software Anthropologist and Coach

      David teaches and coaches agility as a delivery tool. He has spent the last ten years teaching and learning better ways to produce products with companies of all sizes around the world. He pairs with developers and testers, and helps plan and create product roadmaps. David often works with leadership groups to introduce and use agile methods pragmatically to foster innovation and competitive business advantage.

      Prior to working as a fulltime coach, David spent years building software in a variety of domains including digital audio, digital biometrics, medical, financial, retail, and education. David now leads DevJam, a company composed of agile collaborators, mentors and practitioners. DevJam's use of agility helps people and companies improve their software production skills as well as their understanding of who will be using and buying their product and why. DevJam provides seasoned leaders that strive to pragmatically match technology, people, and processes to create better products in more competitive cycles.

      Along with teaching and coaching, David participates in conferences around the world and continuously publishes to a variety of sources. He has contributed to several books as well as helping to create an agile curriculum for The University of Minnesota and Capella University.

      For more information, check out the DevJam website www.devjam.com

      ****Register at http://www.agilebazaar.org****

      ------------------- UPCOMING EVENTS

      - Thursday 08/05/10: Augustmonthly meeting
      Damon Poole: Getting Managers and Engineers Out of Each Other's Hair

      ------------------- ABOUT AGILE BAZAAR

      New England Agile Bazaar is the leading community of Agile enthusiasts, practitioners, and learners in New England. Based in Boston, we are committed to fostering a greater knowledge of Agile values and practices. We are a learning community focused on broadening our own understanding as well as spreading that knowledge to the broader community of professionals in the area.

      New England Agile Bazaar is both an Agile Alliance affiliate and an ACM chapter.