Re: [XP] XP Vs scrum

  • Jeff Anderson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 20, 2010
      +2 on joshua about kanban and XP.

      XP has all the technical practices which to me are just fundamental to
      good high quality software development.

      Scrum (and I know I'm going to get flamed for this one) is a useful
      but I find very situationally specific set of management practices
      that you can overlay onto XP.

      I find scrum by itself is a kind of "agile on training wheels", and
      many developer teams supplement with aspects of XP before long. But
      you don't have to supplement XP with scrum, supplementing XP with
      kanban is very powerful IMHO.

      In reality you can combine XP, scrum, kanban, BDD, DDD, etc to ge the
      mixture of practices that suit your context, the great thing about
      these techniques is that they are all so complementary to each other.

      On 6/17/10, John Goodsen <jgoodsen@...> wrote:
      > I'm with Josh on this. My current preference seems to be a mix of -
      > Lean/Kanban and XP and I'd encourage people who are looking for direction to
      > understand Kanban with XP as well. Once you starting thinking in terms of
      > flow and pull, the notion of pushing work into iterations, ala Scrum,
      > becomes an anti-pattern.
      > jg
      > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Joshua Kerievsky <
      > joshua@...> wrote:
      >> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:49 AM, JeffGrigg <jeffreytoddgrigg@...
      >> >wrote:
      >> > Kent has said that XP was inspired by scrum. One could reasonably
      >> consider
      >> > XP to be an instance of scrum. IE: XP is scrum, with a number of
      >> additional
      >> > more prescriptive practices specific to software development added in.
      >> >
      >> Hmmm, I've never heard Kent say that XP was inspired by scrum, only that a
      >> few practices of scrum influenced some XP practices.
      >> We should not forget that Ward Cunningham co-invented XP and his great
      >> insights were not inspired by scrum.
      >> Also, as you likely know, the second edition of XP Explained is far, far
      >> less prescriptive than the first edition.
      >> On another note, these days, I think many folks would do well to explore
      >> Kanban.
      >> I like Kanban mixed with XP.
      >> --
      >> best regards,
      >> jk
      >> Industrial Logic, Inc.
      >> Twitter: @JoshuaKerievsky
      >> Founder, Extreme Programmer & Coach
      >> http://industriallogic.com
      >> 866-540-8336 (toll free)
      >> 510-540-8336 (phone)
      >> Berkeley, California
      >> Learn User Stories, Code Smells, Refactoring, Patterns & TDD at
      >> http://industriallogic.com/elearning
      > John Goodsen RADSoft / Better Software Faster
      > jgoodsen@... Lean/Agile/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
      > http://www.radsoft.com Ruby on Rails and Java Solutions

      Sent from my mobile device

      Jeff Anderson