TDD with Excel macros (VBA)

  • Chris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2010
      All,

      I find myself doing lots of Excel programming these days, mainly macro
      development using VBA. Has anyone got experience or 'know how' with respect
      to using TDD in this environment? I miss the safety net, and find I rely on
      baby-step-execute-refactor development.

      My first guess is that there is no xUnit type tool, so it may be back to
      first principles, but if anyone has any pointers it would be much
      appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Chris.

    • Bayley, Alistair
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2010
        > From: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        > [mailto:extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Wheeler
        >
        > I find myself doing lots of Excel programming these days, mainly macro
        > development using VBA. Has anyone got experience or 'know
        > how' with respect
        > to using TDD in this environment? I miss the safety net, and
        > find I rely on baby-step-execute-refactor development.
        >
        > My first guess is that there is no xUnit type tool, so it may
        > be back to
        > first principles, but if anyone has any pointers it would be much
        > appreciated.

        Clark Ching has a tutorial on TDD, conducted within Excel:

        http://www.clarkeching.com/files/tdd_for_managers_and_nonprogrammers_usi
        ng_excell_and_vba_final.pdf

        (reproduced here as a website)
        http://www.tddtestdrive.com/

        I don't think it's really what you're looking for, but maybe
        inspirational?

        Alistair

        Invesco Fund Managers Limited, Company No. 898166, FSA No. 119298
        Invesco Asset Management Limited, Company No. 949417, FSA No. 122674
        Invesco Global Investment Funds Limited, Company No. 1046873, FSA No. 141663
        Invesco Perpetual Life Limited, Company No. 3507379, FSA No. 188249
        Invesco UK Limited, Company No. 3004959

        The first four listed companies are authorised and regulated by the Financial
        Services Authority. All companies are incorporated in England and registered
        at 30 Finsbury Square, London EC2A 1AG. UK Group VAT No. 245 055 771.
        Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
        and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
        material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
        which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
        or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
        persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is
      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2010
          > Clark Ching has a tutorial on TDD, conducted within Excel:
          >
          > http://www.clarkeching.com/files/tdd_for_managers_and_nonprogrammers_usi
          > ng_excell_and_vba_final.pdf

          Does it say to use Debug.Assert tests(), so if you debug you run all the
          tests, and if you don't then the target of the Assert vanishes?

          Also, just about the only assertion available is Debug.Assert, because it
          merges with the debugger so smoothly. That can lead to "enhanced editing",
          which is better than "debugging because you have no choice".

          Also, may I ask if anyone here would like some detailed consulting on how to
          assemble a good TDD and Continuous Integration rig? That's what I've been
          doing for the past 10 years, and I need to take it on the road!

          Picture not related.

          --
          Phlip
          http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand