Re: LOC - was Re: [XP] Software Architecture start f rom….//...?

  • John Goodsen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2010
      ... so if programmers should get paid by reducing the LOC, I just might go
      back and do some Java for the cash. Armed with IntelliJ, I can target Java
      code, convert it to Scala and significantly reduce the LOC count. Be
      careful what you measure - you'll be sure to get it.

      On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM, M. Manca <m.manca@...>wrote:

      > Il 09/06/2010 15.42, James Carr ha scritto:
      > In my opinion LOCs are an old simple source code size measure that can't
      > be directly used to make an estimation about effort, costs and
      > development time but for existing applications could help to give an
      > approximated idea about how big is one module or about the quantity of
      > lines to modify/add to modify the application. So I would say that LOCs
      > may be a sort of post-mortem data to verify/compare or using partially
      > as a collection of examples for the next application. A good thing could
      > be to have some sort of automated application taking care about the time
      > spent to realize every piece (function? class?) of source code giving
      > the possibility to establish an historical database helpul to estimate
      > new applications.
      > > Sometimes it amazes me that some teams can sit down and just crank out a
      > > MILLION lines of code to write an application pretty trivial. I've come
      > > understand the forces that cause it to happen, but it still amazes me to
      > see
      > > codebases that huge that were written over a short period of time. I
      > mean,
      > > it still boggles my mind that some people can not only justify it, but
      > also
      > > be proud of the LOC they personally generated.
      > >

      > > Thanks,
      > > James
      > >
      > > On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Bill Caputo <
      > > list-subscriber@...> wrote:
      > >

      > >> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...
      > <linux_tim%40yahoo.com>>

      > >> Right, LOC is a counter-performance measure (i.e. a rough estimate of
      > >> how much your maintenance burden is) not something to be proud of for
      > >> its own sake.
      > >>
      > >> (tongue in cheek): So, programmer compensation should be based on
      > >> reducing LOC not increasing it (can already see the dlibert where
      > >> wally sits in a cube doing nothing and scores a fat bonus).
      > >>
      > >> Bill

      > abstractions,
      > love

      > <extremeprogramming-unsubscribe%40eGroups.com>

      John Goodsen RADSoft / Better Software Faster
      jgoodsen@... Lean/Agile/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
      http://www.radsoft.com Ruby on Rails and Java Solutions