Re: [XP] do you create a system for integration testing and end-to-end testing

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2010
      On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 5:29 AM, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...> wrote:

      > Hi, X,
      >
      > xtremenilanjan wrote:
      > > Having a system for integration testing and end-to-end testing seems
      > > critical for success in XP.
      > >
      > > I see some teams use FIT for that purpose - it's a convenient
      > > framework.
      > >
      > > If you don't use FIT do you implement a system for integration
      > > testing and end-to-end tests? Isn't there a substantial cost
      > > (time/resources) to that?
      > >
      > > I am especially interested in hearing about your experience with
      > > non-web software, complex systems.
      > >
      > > If you aren't able to create such a system, do you use manual
      > > testing? did that work?
      >
      > I've yet to see a team that can keep up with iterative development using
      > manual testing. Either the testing starts to slide, or the development
      > slows down.
      >
      > There are many functional testing frameworks. If you can see this
      > (http://bit.ly/dgjiC2) spreadsheet, it lists many of them. You can also
      > use unit testing frameworks to do functional tests. I've done so with
      > junit and nunit for years, though the resulting tests tend to be
      > readable only by programmers.

      I tend to prefer the latter. I would only go to a framework if the
      business/product side of the organization showed a desire to own it. I
      love Cucumber in particular, but it seems silly to me to give an
      additional testing tool (That is significantly complex) to a bunch of
      programmers who are already doing TDD.

      That said, if the customers actually want to participate in writing
      and maintaining executable specifications at the acceptance level then
      I want to enable that to the best of my ability, and these tools are a
      good way to do that. Until then, YAGNI.