Re: [XP] Re: Shouldnt done include everything.

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 49 , Jun 2, 2010
      P.S. see below

      On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > What I mean by exploratory testing, in this context, is that I build
      > the app, run the interface locally, and interact with it for a minute.
      > Usually I would start by just walking through the functionality I just
      > added. Most developers do this.
      >
      > The "exploratory" part comes next. I run through it again, but I
      > intentionally do something unexpected - like put in a really silly
      > value, click repeatedly, hit the refresh button a few times, etc. If
      > it works then I may do something else silly, until I feel satisfied.
      > If it breaks then I'm not done. I missed a test. Back to step 1.

      I forgot one part: when I do this I don't limit myself to the thing
      that I just wrote. That wouldn't be "exploratory." ;-)

      I want to find errors on the edges of or in between the stories. To do
      that I need to test more than just the one thing. However, I don't
      need to test the whole app at once. I just probe it a bit with an
      emphasis on doing something unexpected.
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 49 of 49 , Jun 9, 2010
        Hi Jeff:

        Are you responding to what Tim wrote below? Or to one of the earlier
        messages that I wrote?

        Anyway, thanks ;-)