Re: [XP] Speaker for presentation on great XP teams

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 12 , May 5, 2010
      Hi Gary,

      Gary Brown wrote:
      > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
      > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?

      I have a question. Who is the presentation for? If it's a keynote to
      bring in attendees at a conference, then that's one thing. But I have a
      sneaky suspicion that the speaker would be for a team of people at the
      same company. So my next question would be, what's the transition plan
      from inspiration to perspiration? What would a speaker bring in
      motivation that would help the team get past a plateau?

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.coryfoy.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2010
        Hey, Cory!

        The speaker is for an internal conference for all of our teams, so fairly
        good guess. 8^)

        To me, each person decides for themselves the level at which they will
        perform, e.g. the Advanced Beginner in the Dreyfus model. So, what I'm
        looking to communicate is why it is worthwhile to strive for a higher level
        of performance. What's in it for them and their Customers? Finally, how to
        move toward achieving that goal.

        GB.

        >> If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
        >> great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?
        >
        > I have a question. Who is the presentation for? If it's a keynote to
        > bring in attendees at a conference, then that's one thing. But I have a
        > sneaky suspicion that the speaker would be for a team of people at the
        > same company. So my next question would be, what's the transition plan
        > from inspiration to perspiration? What would a speaker bring in
        > motivation that would help the team get past a plateau?
        >
        > --
        > Cory Foy
        > http://www.coryfoy.com
        > http://twitter.com/cory_foy

      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2010
          Hi Gary,

          Gary Brown wrote:
          > The speaker is for an internal conference for all of our teams, so fairly
          > good guess. 8^)

          Yeah, can't imagine how I would have guessed that. ;)

          > To me, each person decides for themselves the level at which they will
          > perform, e.g. the Advanced Beginner in the Dreyfus model. So, what I'm
          > looking to communicate is why it is worthwhile to strive for a higher level
          > of performance. What's in it for them and their Customers? Finally, how to
          > move toward achieving that goal.

          Gotcha. Too often I hear about organizations bringing in "motivational
          speakers" without a clear goal of what they are trying to motivate, or
          how they are going to support a bunch of motivated people. This sounds
          more like a passionate person who knows the difficulty of striving for
          the next level, and the rewards from doing that.

          I think you already have some great names, and I hope you can find a way
          to capture the impact it has.

          --
          Cory Foy
          http://www.coryfoy.com