Re: [XP] Deep Concern

  • David Carlton
    Message 1 of 53 , May 4, 2010
      On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Kurt Häusler <kurt.haeusler@...>wrote:

      > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM, David Carlton <carlton@...>
      > wrote:
      > > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Kurt Häusler <kurt.haeusler@...
      > <kurt.haeusler%40gmail.com>
      > > >wrote:
      > >

      > > > But the majority of developers ARE monkeys aren't they?
      > >
      > > Seeing that sort of language used to describe other developers bothers
      > me.
      >
      > Yes I wouldn't normally use that word in that context. In fact I actually
      > respect developers with different values that lead them to focus on other
      > things than their identity as software developers, and consider it just a
      > job.

      Cool, thanks for the explanation.

      > > It is time for software development to become a chartered professional
      > > > discipline, requiring a graduate degree, further continuing education,
      > > > society membership and participation, including teaching and mentoring
      > > > responsibilities, just like lawyers, doctors, accountants, and REAL
      > > > engineers.
      > > >

      > > Some of that sounds reasonable to me, some doesn't; I guess that probably
      > > points to a difference in our experiences. I'm curious, did you (or
      > anybody
      > > else who wants to opine) find that your graduate CS coursework was a
      > > particularly valuable mechanism in improving your programming abilities?
      > >

      > I haven't done any graduate CS coursework. I am not a professional, nor an
      > architect, nor a craftsman, nor a software engineer.
      >
      > I try to keep up to date on all the latest fads and fashions, connect with
      > the community, practice, follow good disciplined techniques, read all the
      > books etc. At work I mostly just plug libraries together as a member of an
      > agile team, but I used to program.

      Interesting. That keeping up to date, etc. all sounds good to me.

      Once I finish my current course of study, which is a graduate course in
      > software management, I may look at, well having a couple of years break
      > first, but then doing something like a Masters in Software Engineering if I
      > can do one via distance learning, but I fear it may get ridiculed as just
      > another meaningless certification. It seems the path to professionalism in
      > software development is slowly forming but in a different direction.

      Well, I'd certainly be curious what you learn from doing that that you
      wouldn't learn from keeping up to date and practicing on your own. If you
      do learn something, great, that would probably point out gaps in my own
      study habits too.

      For what it's worth, I haven't taken graduate CS coursework, either, in fact
      I only took a few undergraduate CS courses. At the time (late 80's, early
      90's), it seemed like a lot of the coursework was focused on domain
      knowledge (graphics, compilers, operating systems) and on conceptual
      knowledge (algorithms, programming languages), but not on actually learning
      to program well. And browsing the local college bookstore leads me to
      suspect that that's still the case at the local college. My impression of
      the local college could be wrong, though, or the local college might not be
      a good representative of current CS education. Also, I suspect I undervalue
      learning about domain/conceptual knowledge in a classroom context. (As
      opposed to just picking it up as I need it / am curious about it.)

      --
      David Carlton
      carlton@...

    • Israel Antezana
      Message 53 of 53 , May 6, 2010
        Dear Friends of the XP community,
        The Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee (http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/) is pleased to invite you to attend our event as a speaker! Our Latin American community of Agile Methodologies wants to hear your ideas, experiences and learn about your working techniques.
        Ágiles 20xx is the flagship conference of the Latin American Agile community.Ágiles 2010 will be the third edition of the conference, featuring keynote speakers Lee Devin and Joshua Kerievsky.
        If you are interested to submit a proposal please check further details here:http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/programa/call-for-papers/
        Hope to see you in the conference!,
        Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee

        Israel Antezana R.