Re: [XP] Deep Concern

  • Kurt Häusler
    Message 1 of 53 , May 4, 2010
      On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM, David Carlton <carlton@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Kurt Häusler <kurt.haeusler@...<kurt.haeusler%40gmail.com>
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > But the majority of developers ARE monkeys aren't they?
      >
      > Seeing that sort of language used to describe other developers bothers me.

      Yes I wouldn't normally use that word in that context. In fact I actually
      respect developers with different values that lead them to focus on other
      things than their identity as software developers, and consider it just a
      job.

      > It is time for software development to become a chartered professional
      > > discipline, requiring a graduate degree, further continuing education,
      > > society membership and participation, including teaching and mentoring
      > > responsibilities, just like lawyers, doctors, accountants, and REAL
      > > engineers.
      > >

      > Some of that sounds reasonable to me, some doesn't; I guess that probably
      > points to a difference in our experiences. I'm curious, did you (or anybody
      > else who wants to opine) find that your graduate CS coursework was a
      > particularly valuable mechanism in improving your programming abilities?

      I haven't done any graduate CS coursework. I am not a professional, nor an
      architect, nor a craftsman, nor a software engineer.

      I try to keep up to date on all the latest fads and fashions, connect with
      the community, practice, follow good disciplined techniques, read all the
      books etc. At work I mostly just plug libraries together as a member of an
      agile team, but I used to program.

      Once I finish my current course of study, which is a graduate course in
      software management, I may look at, well having a couple of years break
      first, but then doing something like a Masters in Software Engineering if I
      can do one via distance learning, but I fear it may get ridiculed as just
      another meaningless certification. It seems the path to professionalism in
      software development is slowly forming but in a different direction.

    • Israel Antezana
      Message 53 of 53 , May 6, 2010
        Dear Friends of the XP community,
        The Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee (http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/) is pleased to invite you to attend our event as a speaker! Our Latin American community of Agile Methodologies wants to hear your ideas, experiences and learn about your working techniques.
        Ágiles 20xx is the flagship conference of the Latin American Agile community.Ágiles 2010 will be the third edition of the conference, featuring keynote speakers Lee Devin and Joshua Kerievsky.
        If you are interested to submit a proposal please check further details here:http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/programa/call-for-papers/
        Hope to see you in the conference!,
        Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee

        Israel Antezana R.