Re: [XP] Deep Concern

  • fromconcept
    Message 1 of 53 , May 4, 2010
      Dave,

      I agree completely, though this view isnt shared. It transpired yesterday that the best way to develop (and the ONLY! way for success apparently) is to have 1 service, 1 person. Thats it. Create decoupled services not because loose coupling is good, but because it cuts down on communication, because the more the team communicates the greater the chance for them to butcher your design by getting it abjectly wrong. Its a funny view.

      Nick.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney <dave.rooney@...> wrote:

      > The problem with putting people up on a pedestal, i.e. a "software
      > legend", is that you're deeply disappointed when they say or do
      > something dumb.
      >
      > People are the software development industry's strength, not its
      > weakness. Those who believe otherwise will be left behind.
      > --
      > Dave Rooney
      > Westboro Systems
      > Web: http://www.westborosystems.com
      > Blog: http://practicalagility.blogspot.com
      > Twitter: daverooneyca
      >

      > On 05/04/2010 08:44 AM, fromconcept wrote:
      > > Hi-
      > >
      > > This is a rant - ignore if you like.
      > >
      > > In 2000, I worked as a chief architect at GSK. During that time I came across what I felt then (and still feel now) was a very toxic, vitriolic stipulation that software development simply requires good architects, and the industry could easily commoditize the construction process. Around the same time I also read something from Microsoft, with its push for .Net and tool suite, that projected a future where development was all outsourced, and all we needed were good architects - developers are essentially monkeys was the proposition.
      > >
      > > Cut to Monday, 3rd May, 2010: I was sat in a course presented by a "software legend", who professed on day one that all we need is a good architect, and the developers, while we would do better to hire better rather than worse, are essentially nothing more than monkeys. Furthermore, those monkeys are the basis to the software crisis, are worse than debt collectors and used care salesman, and are highly unprofessional. Furthermore, his anathema of the modern industry is that these so called monkeys will most definitely adhere to Parkinsons Law, will thus over estimate (probably, but for different reasons than) because thats what monkeys do - they will over-estimate, cut corners, do little or nothing to keep abreast of new waves of technology and principles, and will during these moments of buffer where they have free time due to their estimates, play foosball.
      > >
      > > During part of the mornings oratory, the speaker shared with us his belief that developers a la monkeys should indeed be forced to learn very little - it is the architect who should have the knowledge of how things are done. He went as far as to say threading is for architects only, and he hopes sincerely that this is rectified by the industry like a market correction.
      > >
      > > Surely I dreamed all of this? According to my calendar, it wasnt a dream after all. I cannot dispute it was a nightmare.
      > >
      > > Nick.

    • Israel Antezana
      Message 53 of 53 , May 6, 2010
        Dear Friends of the XP community,
        The Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee (http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/) is pleased to invite you to attend our event as a speaker! Our Latin American community of Agile Methodologies wants to hear your ideas, experiences and learn about your working techniques.
        Ágiles 20xx is the flagship conference of the Latin American Agile community.Ágiles 2010 will be the third edition of the conference, featuring keynote speakers Lee Devin and Joshua Kerievsky.
        If you are interested to submit a proposal please check further details here:http://agiles2010.agiles.org/lang/en/programa/call-for-papers/
        Hope to see you in the conference!,
        Ágiles 2010 Organizing Committee

        Israel Antezana R.