Re: [XP] What are the characteristics of a great XP team?

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 72 , Apr 29, 2010
      Hi Ron,

      > Product companies are there to make money. I'm sorry, but they are.
      > If they do not make money /somehow/ they will not be able to pay
      > their employees.
      >
      > I suppose one could have a product company funded by Bruce Wayne or
      > something but I've found, as a rule, that that's just not a good
      > business model.

      To me, there is a big difference between "product companies are there
      to make money" and "product companies have to make money to survive"
      or "making money is one reasonable measure of success for a product
      company". I could sign the latter two. The first, no.

      Cheers, Ilja
    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 72 of 72 , May 1, 2010
        On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > On most days, I wouldn't go there. I do not consider "doing XP" or
        > "being great at XP" to be particularly good targets.

        Which is the same message I've heard from wise managers - they consider
        shipping great software, when the customer wants it, to be a good target. I
        recall years ago when I started doing XP a VP telling me that he didn't much
        care if we were the best in the world at XP or the worst, as long as we were
        the best in the world at shipping software that our customers would want.

        Chris.