Speaker for presentation on great XP teams

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
      If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
      great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?

      Thanks!

      GB.

    • Curtis Cooley
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
        The best speaker I've heard on the topic is Robert Martin. I've heard him
        speak numerous times and always came away enlightened, inspired and
        entertained.

        On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

        > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
        > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > GB.

        Curtis Cooley
        curtis.cooley@...
        home:http://curtiscooley.com
      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
          Gary,

          Gary Brown wrote:
          > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
          > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?

          Given that little context, the first name that comes to mind is Esther
          Derby.

          - George

        • James Carr
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
            I would say Esther Derby or Linda Rising. I thought both of them had some
            pretty inspiring things to say about teamwork.

            Thanks,
            James

            On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:44 AM, George Dinwiddie
            <lists@...>wrote:

            > Gary,
            >

            > Gary Brown wrote:
            > > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
            > > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?
            >
            > Given that little context, the first name that comes to mind is Esther
            > Derby.
            >
            > - George

          • Tim Ottinger
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 27, 2010
              Speaker on teams? G. Weinberg. No question.

              Tim Ottinger
              http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
              http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

              > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about

              great teams and teamwork, who would you
              > choose?

              Thanks!

              GB.

              This
              > message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging
              > Program.

              ad-free
              > courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links

              (Yahoo!
              > ID required)

              > href="mailto:extremeprogramming-digest@yahoogroups.com">extremeprogramming-digest@yahoogroups.com
              >

              > ymailto="mailto:extremeprogramming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com"
              > href="mailto:extremeprogramming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com">extremeprogramming-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Jeff Anderson
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2010
                How about tim ottinger :)

                --
                Sent from my mobile device

                Jeff Anderson

                http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com/
              • Steve Ropa
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
                  The other recommendations folks have made are all great, but I have to agree
                  with Curtis. Uncle Bob is above all the rest when it comes to an inspiring
                  and engaging speaker.

                  > The best speaker I've heard on the topic is Robert Martin. I've heard him
                  > speak numerous times and always came away enlightened, inspired and
                  > entertained.
                  >
                  > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
                  >> great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?
                  >>
                  >> Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> GB.

                  > Curtis Cooley
                  > curtis.cooley@...
                  > home:http://curtiscooley.com
                  > blog:http://ponderingobjectorienteddesign.blogspot.com

                • Keith Ray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
                    Johanna Rothman is good, particularly for teamwork and management
                    aspects of Agile.

                    C. Keith Ray
                    Agile Coaching, training, eLearning
                    http://www.industriallogic.com
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Apr 29, 2010, at 2:51 PM, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@...> wrote:

                    > The other recommendations folks have made are all great, but I have
                    > to agree
                    > with Curtis. Uncle Bob is above all the rest when it comes to an
                    > inspiring
                    > and engaging speaker.

                  • Joshua Kerievsky
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
                      On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

                      > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
                      > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?

                      I've say that David Spann is one of best team/teamwork folks I've met. He
                      knows Agile very well, he's fought actual forrest fires and has fantastic
                      stories to tell about genuine teamwork and I've never met a client that
                      didn't adore him. Ping me if you want his contact details.

                      best
                      jk

                    • Cory Foy
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 5, 2010
                        Hi Gary,

                        Gary Brown wrote:
                        > If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
                        > great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?

                        I have a question. Who is the presentation for? If it's a keynote to
                        bring in attendees at a conference, then that's one thing. But I have a
                        sneaky suspicion that the speaker would be for a team of people at the
                        same company. So my next question would be, what's the transition plan
                        from inspiration to perspiration? What would a speaker bring in
                        motivation that would help the team get past a plateau?

                        --
                        Cory Foy
                        http://www.coryfoy.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 6, 2010
                          Hey, Cory!

                          The speaker is for an internal conference for all of our teams, so fairly
                          good guess. 8^)

                          To me, each person decides for themselves the level at which they will
                          perform, e.g. the Advanced Beginner in the Dreyfus model. So, what I'm
                          looking to communicate is why it is worthwhile to strive for a higher level
                          of performance. What's in it for them and their Customers? Finally, how to
                          move toward achieving that goal.

                          GB.

                          >> If you were hiring a speaker to give an inspiring presentation about
                          >> great teams and teamwork, who would you choose?
                          >
                          > I have a question. Who is the presentation for? If it's a keynote to
                          > bring in attendees at a conference, then that's one thing. But I have a
                          > sneaky suspicion that the speaker would be for a team of people at the
                          > same company. So my next question would be, what's the transition plan
                          > from inspiration to perspiration? What would a speaker bring in
                          > motivation that would help the team get past a plateau?
                          >
                          > --
                          > Cory Foy
                          > http://www.coryfoy.com
                          > http://twitter.com/cory_foy

                        • Cory Foy
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 7, 2010
                            Hi Gary,

                            Gary Brown wrote:
                            > The speaker is for an internal conference for all of our teams, so fairly
                            > good guess. 8^)

                            Yeah, can't imagine how I would have guessed that. ;)

                            > To me, each person decides for themselves the level at which they will
                            > perform, e.g. the Advanced Beginner in the Dreyfus model. So, what I'm
                            > looking to communicate is why it is worthwhile to strive for a higher level
                            > of performance. What's in it for them and their Customers? Finally, how to
                            > move toward achieving that goal.

                            Gotcha. Too often I hear about organizations bringing in "motivational
                            speakers" without a clear goal of what they are trying to motivate, or
                            how they are going to support a bunch of motivated people. This sounds
                            more like a passionate person who knows the difficulty of striving for
                            the next level, and the rewards from doing that.

                            I think you already have some great names, and I hope you can find a way
                            to capture the impact it has.

                            --
                            Cory Foy
                            http://www.coryfoy.com