What are the characteristics of a great XP team?

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 72 , Apr 26, 2010
      How would you identify a great XP team? What characteristics would you look for? What would be different about their behavior? What would be different about their results?

      Here are some things that I would look for:

      Contentment - they enjoy their work and the people they work with.

      Character - they have the self-discipline to do the right things even when no one is looking.

      Integrity - they deliver on promises, even when that is inconvenient.

      Honesty - they tell the truth, even when that is unpopular.

      Craftmanship - they take pride in keeping their designs clean and test coverage sufficient to allow their code to be extended and maintained indefinitely.

      Curious - they are self-motivated learners and spend time each week exploring ideas and technologies that could help them be better developers or to help their team get a better result.

      Introspective - they won't be perfect, but they take time to understand mistakes and work to improve over time.

      What other things would you look for or expect from a great XP team?

      GB.

    • Chris Wheeler
      Message 72 of 72 , May 1 6:42 AM
        On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > On most days, I wouldn't go there. I do not consider "doing XP" or
        > "being great at XP" to be particularly good targets.

        Which is the same message I've heard from wise managers - they consider
        shipping great software, when the customer wants it, to be a good target. I
        recall years ago when I started doing XP a VP telling me that he didn't much
        care if we were the best in the world at XP or the worst, as long as we were
        the best in the world at shipping software that our customers would want.

        Chris.