Re: [XP] Re: never ever ever fork the codebase

  • Michael Hill
    Message 1 of 72 , Apr 10, 2010
      All I can say for sure is that I have wrestled with branching many many
      times, and I have never seen it do even a little bit of good.

      In high XP, there is only one vault with only one branch. Continuous
      integration is inevitably resisted as "impossible", and on its way to
      shipping the product's mergings are a) horrifyingly difficult and b)
      bug-creating.

      So, let me be the straw-man: all branch is evil, evil, and must be replaced
      with branching *executables*.

      Love,
      Hill

      On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 3:19 PM, extremeprogrammer <LanceWalton@...>wrote:

      > Is 'fork' the same as 'branch' here?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Lance
      >

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > XP:
      > >
      > > Except if you use git. Then you can fork when the wind blows.
      > >
      > > Disgust?
      > >
      > > --
      > > Phlip
      > > http://penbird.deviantart.com/art/YARBK-Charlie-Brown-160096965

    • Anthony Williams
      Message 72 of 72 , Apr 27, 2010
        "JeffGrigg" <jeffgrigg@...> writes:

        > --- Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo@...> wrote:
        >> This does actually force the periodic big updates, which
        >> they don't like, and only agree to when the need for the
        >> new features outweighs the hassle.
        >
        > I'd describe this as a quite sensible business decision, given the
        > environment. I wish to change the environment. I think that we can
        > deliver software that works right, the first time, practically all the
        > time. After we do that, a different business decision would be
        > appropriate.

        Agreed. I always strive to deliver software that works right first
        time. The software in question is a medium-sized legacy codebase, but
        the bug count is dropping. Maybe there will come a time when a different
        business decision is appropriate.

        Anthony
        --
        Author of C++ Concurrency in Action http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/