Re: never ever ever fork the codebase

  • extremeprogrammer
    Message 1 of 72 , Apr 10, 2010
      Is 'fork' the same as 'branch' here?

      Regards,

      Lance

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

      > XP:
      >
      > Except if you use git. Then you can fork when the wind blows.
      >
      > Disgust?
      >
      > --
      > Phlip
      > http://penbird.deviantart.com/art/YARBK-Charlie-Brown-160096965

    • Anthony Williams
      Message 72 of 72 , Apr 27, 2010
        "JeffGrigg" <jeffgrigg@...> writes:

        > --- Anthony Williams <anthony_w.geo@...> wrote:
        >> This does actually force the periodic big updates, which
        >> they don't like, and only agree to when the need for the
        >> new features outweighs the hassle.
        >
        > I'd describe this as a quite sensible business decision, given the
        > environment. I wish to change the environment. I think that we can
        > deliver software that works right, the first time, practically all the
        > time. After we do that, a different business decision would be
        > appropriate.

        Agreed. I always strive to deliver software that works right first
        time. The software in question is a medium-sized legacy codebase, but
        the bug count is dropping. Maybe there will come a time when a different
        business decision is appropriate.

        Anthony
        --
        Author of C++ Concurrency in Action http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/