Re: [XP] Pair Programming for a 6 member embedded development

  • Ajithesh Hegde
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
      Andre,

      Thanks for the reply! And sorry for my late response.

      My role is that of a consultant. I am not directly interacting with the
      team. I am only talking about the Agile concepts to the technical lead of
      the team. During such talks, I proposed this idea to him.

      The team leader did not take this idea directly. He said that the
      development is coming to an end already. However, he has implemented the
      pair programming practice for test case development, he said. He is finding
      lots of benefits here, he asserted.

      I have explained the other XP practices as well. I have given him time to
      think on these and consider implementing as per his interest. He has
      started the daily standup meetings already and is finding benefits.

      Thanks to all others who replied to this topic.

      Rgds
      Ajithesh

      On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM, D.Andr� Dhondt
      <d.andre.dhondt@...>wrote:

      > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...<ajithesh.gh%40gmail.com>
      > >wrote:
      >
      > > There is a team of 6... [silos]. Do you think such a team can employ Pair
      >

      > > Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?
      > > If this demarcation is dulled, the team ... would break the solo mode in
      >
      > > the team and
      > > result into a more collaborative setup.
      > >
      > It's nice in theory... but what you describe isn't a team--it's a group of
      > people working on different, yet interconnected, projects.
      >
      > Pairing *could* build a team, or it may not, and then things could go badly
      > and people would blame it on the pairing. If you can't establish core
      > working agreements, a shared goal, open communication, and individuals who
      > speak up for themselves, I'd say work on that first. Build the team, then
      > introduce more practices.
      >
      > What is your role in the group? What do your coworkers say about this idea
      > of breaking down the strongly defined roles? Do you follow other XP
      > practices on the team?
      >
      > --
      > D. Andr� Dhondt
      > mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
      > twitter: adhondt http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
      > If you're in the area, join Agile Philly http://www.AgilePhilly.com<http://www.agilephilly.com/>
      > Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
      > https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

    • James Grenning
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
        Hello Ajithesh

        The team you are talking to might be interested in my book. Test Driven Development for Embedded C. It is currently in its first beta release at the Pragmatic Bookshelf.

        http://www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade/test-driven-development-for-embedded-c

        James

        -----
        James Grenning