Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [XP] Re: Agile Development at Guidewire

Expand Messages
  • Ted Young
    Hi Andrew, Thanks. We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
      Hi Andrew,

      Thanks.

      We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
      regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
      use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).

      ;ted

      On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...> wrote:

      >
      >
      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
      > and
      > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
      > >
      > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
      > >
      > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > ;ted
      >
      > Great video Ted.
      > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
      > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came off
      > easily when you wanted to move them.
      >
      > Andrew Wall
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...
      >
      > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
      > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...
      >
      > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
      >
      >
      >
      >


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Allen Higgins
      Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips... Allen ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
        Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
        Allen

        On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

        >
        >
        > Hi Andrew,
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
        > regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
        > use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).
        >
        > ;ted
        >
        >
        > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...<ajwall.geo%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > >
        > >
        > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi folks,
        > > >
        > > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
        > > and
        > > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
        > > >
        > > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!
        > > > ;ted
        > >
        > > Great video Ted.
        > > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
        > > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came
        > off
        > > easily when you wanted to move them.
        > >
        > > Andrew Wall
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > ------------------------------------
        >
        > >
        > > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...<extremeprogramming%40eGroups.com>
        > >
        > > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
        > > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...<extremeprogramming-unsubscribe%40eGroups.com>
        > >
        > > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
        >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Karl Scotland
        ... If you find one let me know - I failed and resorted to bribing friends to bring some over for me. I know have a nice stash at home :) Karl -- Karl Scotland
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
          On 6 April 2010 16:36, Allen Higgins <allen.higgins@...> wrote:

          > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
          >

          If you find one let me know - I failed and resorted to bribing friends to
          bring some over for me. I know have a nice stash at home :)

          Karl

          --
          Karl Scotland
          Lean & Agile Coach
          http://www.availagility.co.uk/


          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        • Ron Jeffries
          Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you ... I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay in one place on the wall
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
            Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
            wrote:

            > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...

            I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
            in one place on the wall and hold different cards.

            What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
            somewhere else, etc.

            So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
            For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.

            Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.

            Ron Jeffries
            www.XProgramming.com
            www.xprogramming.com/blog
            The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
            and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd
          • Ted Young
            True - they re not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and re-stick them depends on the surface you re sticking them to. They can leave marks on
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
              True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
              re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
              marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
              paint with them.

              For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
              around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
              we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
              surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

              ;ted

              On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

              > Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
              >
              > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
              > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
              >
              > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
              > somewhere else, etc.
              >
              > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
              > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
              >
              > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
              >
              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > www.xprogramming.com/blog
              > The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
              > and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd
              >
              >
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...
              >
              > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
              > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...
              >
              > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Victor
              A magnetic board helps. Then magnetic clips (or refrigerator clips) will do the job. Víctor ... From: Ron Jeffries To:
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                A magnetic board helps. Then magnetic clips (or refrigerator clips) will do
                the job.

                Víctor

                =========================

                ----- Original Message -----
                From: "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@...>
                To: <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
                Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:42 PM
                Subject: Re: [XP] Re: Agile Development at Guidewire


                > Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
                > wrote:
                >
                >> Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
                >
                > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                >
                > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                > somewhere else, etc.
                >
                > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                >
                > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                >
                > Ron Jeffries
                > www.XProgramming.com
                > www.xprogramming.com/blog
                > The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
                > and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd
                >
                >
                >
                > ------------------------------------
                >
                > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...
                >
                > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...
                >
                > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
                >
                >
                >
                >
              • Karl Scotland
                ... Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                  On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                  >
                  > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                  > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                  >
                  > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                  > somewhere else, etc.
                  >
                  > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                  > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                  >
                  > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                  >


                  Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                  year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                  maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                  you can't add anymore work.

                  Karl

                  --
                  Karl Scotland
                  Lean & Agile Coach
                  http://www.availagility.co.uk/


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Ted Young
                  Hi Karl, Exactly. And watch out for folks putting multiple cards on a single clip. ... (Yes, it s happened, and it was a good opportunity to reinforce _why_
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                    Hi Karl,

                    Exactly. And watch out for folks putting multiple cards on a single clip.
                    :-)

                    (Yes, it's happened, and it was a good opportunity to reinforce _why_ the
                    number of clips was limited).

                    ;ted

                    On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Karl Scotland <kjscotland@...>wrote:

                    > On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > >
                    > > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                    > > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                    > >
                    > > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                    > > somewhere else, etc.
                    > >
                    > > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                    > > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                    > >
                    > > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                    > >
                    >
                    >
                    > Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                    > year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                    > maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                    > you can't add anymore work.
                    >
                    > Karl
                    >
                    > --
                    > Karl Scotland
                    > Lean & Agile Coach
                    > http://www.availagility.co.uk/
                    >
                    >
                    > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > ------------------------------------
                    >
                    > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...
                    >
                    > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                    > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...
                    >
                    > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Curtis Cooley
                    ... -- Curtis Cooley curtis.cooley@gmail.com home:http://curtiscooley.com blog:http://ponderingobjectorienteddesign.blogspot.com =============== Leadership is
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                      On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

                      >
                      >
                      > Hi Karl,
                      >
                      > Exactly. And watch out for folks putting multiple cards on a single clip.
                      > :-)
                      >
                      > (Yes, it's happened, and it was a good opportunity to reinforce _why_ the
                      > number of clips was limited).
                      >
                      > ;ted
                      >
                      > I swear I saw someone doing that in the video.

                      --
                      Curtis Cooley
                      curtis.cooley@...
                      home:http://curtiscooley.com
                      blog:http://ponderingobjectorienteddesign.blogspot.com
                      ===============
                      Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you
                      must be without one, be without the strategy.
                      -- H. Norman Schwarzkopf


                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Ron Jeffries
                      ... Yes, I can see that for a permanent card area they might be quite nifty. Ron Jeffries www.XProgramming.com www.xprogramming.com/blog It is not because
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                        Hello, Ted. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 2:48:25 PM, you wrote:

                        > True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
                        > re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
                        > marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
                        > paint with them.

                        > For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
                        > around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
                        > we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
                        > surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

                        Yes, I can see that for a permanent card area they might be quite
                        nifty.

                        Ron Jeffries
                        www.XProgramming.com
                        www.xprogramming.com/blog
                        It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare,
                        it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.