Re: [XP] Agile Development at Guidewire

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
      Hi, Ted,

      I finally got around to watching your video. Very nice! I especially
      like the time-lapse sequence showing people working together in an
      organic fashion.

      - George

      Ted Young wrote:
      > [Hope you don't mind the cross-posting]
      >
      > Hi folks,
      >
      > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
      > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
      >
      > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
      >
      > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
        > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
        >
        > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
        >
        > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > ;ted

        Great video Ted.
        Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came off easily when you wanted to move them.

        Andrew Wall
      • Ted Young
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2010
          Hi Andrew,

          Thanks.

          We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
          regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
          use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).

          ;ted

          On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...> wrote:

          > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi folks,
          > >
          > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
          > and
          > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
          > >
          > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
          > >
          > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > ;ted
          >
          > Great video Ted.
          > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
          > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came off
          > easily when you wanted to move them.
          >
          > Andrew Wall

        • Allen Higgins
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
            Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
            Allen

            On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
            > regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
            > use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).
            >
            > ;ted
            >

            > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...<ajwall.geo%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi folks,
            > > >
            > > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
            > > and
            > > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
            > > >
            > > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > > ;ted
            > >
            > > Great video Ted.
            > > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
            > > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came
            > off
            > > easily when you wanted to move them.
            > >
            > > Andrew Wall

          • Karl Scotland
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
              On 6 April 2010 16:36, Allen Higgins <allen.higgins@...> wrote:

              > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...

              If you find one let me know - I failed and resorted to bribing friends to
              bring some over for me. I know have a nice stash at home :)

              Karl

              --
              Karl Scotland
              Lean & Agile Coach

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
                wrote:

                > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...

                I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                in one place on the wall and hold different cards.

                What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                somewhere else, etc.

                So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.

                Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.

                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
                and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd
              • Ted Young
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                  True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
                  re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
                  marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
                  paint with them.

                  For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
                  around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
                  we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
                  surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

                  ;ted

                  On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
                  >
                  > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                  > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                  >
                  > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                  > somewhere else, etc.
                  >
                  > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                  > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                  >
                  > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                  >
                  > Ron Jeffries
                  > www.XProgramming.com
                  > www.xprogramming.com/blog
                  > The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
                  > and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd

                • Victor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                    A magnetic board helps. Then magnetic clips (or refrigerator clips) will do
                    the job.

                    Víctor

                    =========================

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                      On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                      > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                      >
                      > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                      > somewhere else, etc.
                      >
                      > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                      > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                      >
                      > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.

                      Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                      year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                      maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                      you can't add anymore work.

                      Karl

                      --
                      Karl Scotland
                      Lean & Agile Coach

                    • Ted Young
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                        Hi Karl,

                        Exactly. And watch out for folks putting multiple cards on a single clip.
                        :-)

                        (Yes, it's happened, and it was a good opportunity to reinforce _why_ the
                        number of clips was limited).

                        ;ted

                        On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Karl Scotland <kjscotland@...>wrote:

                        > On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                        > > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                        > >
                        > > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                        > > somewhere else, etc.
                        > >
                        > > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                        > > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                        > >
                        > > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                        > >

                        > Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                        > year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                        > maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                        > you can't add anymore work.
                        >
                        > Karl
                        >
                        > --
                        > Karl Scotland
                        > Lean & Agile Coach
                        > http://www.availagility.co.uk/

                      • Curtis Cooley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010

                          --
                          Curtis Cooley
                          curtis.cooley@...
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6, 2010
                            Hello, Ted. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 2:48:25 PM, you wrote:

                            > True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
                            > re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
                            > marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
                            > paint with them.

                            > For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
                            > around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
                            > we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
                            > surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

                            Yes, I can see that for a permanent card area they might be quite
                            nifty.

                            www.xprogramming.com/blog
                            it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca