Re: [XP] Test-first an infinite loop

  • Vladimir Ignatov
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hello,

      Several years ago I definetily face a situation there I need to test
      an infinite loop. After some thinking I just introduce a special
      "for-test-only" variable and put something like this at the end of the
      loop:

      while True: # infinite loop
      ..
      ..
      if self.__test_mode:
      break

      Yes, maybe this is not a very nice looking solution (the code now
      happened to "know" about it's test) but it had working good actually.

      Vladimir Ignatov
    • Bill Michell
      Message 31 of 31 , Apr 9, 2010
        Well, an infinite loop is definitely a special case construct - not something that you want to see in normal usage.

        Sounds like what we are looking for is a good use case - maybe a daemon that keeps running some processing method even when given no time by the current thread.

        So I'd make the processing method simply increment a counter.

        The first test just sets the counter to 0 and spawns a thread that runs our main method. The test then checks that the counter value eventually becomes at least 1 - and hence that our processing method got called. Note that spawning the thread is probably part of the test, not the method under test.

        No loop required - just a call to our processing method.

        The next test spawns the thread again, but this time checks the counter eventually becomes at least, say, 10.

        I'd posit that the simplest way to pass the test is to surround the worker method call with a while(1) construct. If you wanted to go via ten calls to the worker method first, knock yourself out.

        For completeness, I'd probably write a test that checks the counter with a decent time interval between the checks, and show that the counter value was continuing to increment. If you haven't reached while(1) already, then this test will surely get you there...

        Yes, it isn't a fast test, and yes, it involves spawning threads. Not pretty. But I'd argue that you are working with a special use case here - even though on the face of it, the construct is a really simple one. It also gives a nice clean design (separating the "never stop" from the "processing" stuff) that lets you do nice things like checking error conditions and termination conditions if those ever become interesting.

        --
        Bill Michell
        billmichell@...