Re: [XP] Including Slack

  • D.André Dhondt
    Message 1 of 54 , Apr 1, 2010
      On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...>wrote:

      > What do you mean by "creative slack?"

      It's not easy to explain--my response is here:

      http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2010/04/slack-were-not-slacking-off.html

      Just as a teaser:

      I see two kinds of slack for a software team. The first is *buffer slack*�it
      is the down time between official work, be that work related to story cards,
      administration, or meetings. It is work that happens when we�re waiting on
      someone else or we�re not yet ready to take on new work...

      *Creative slack* requires a bit of forethought, a consideration of the
      feasibility and impact of the next few moves. *Creative slack* requires a
      significant investment and focus before one can start advancing. ... *Creative
      slack *happens when the team explicitly schedules it; on my current team
      it�s the time between iterations, and it is typically 15% of our work week.

      --
      D. Andr� Dhondt
      mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

      Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
      Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
      https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

    • D.André Dhondt
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 1, 2010