Pair Programming for a 6 member embedded development

  • Ajithesh Hegde
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30, 2010
      Hi,

      Want to hear your expert comments for the below situation:

      There is a team of 6 for an embedded project.
      2 of them are testers, 1 of them is for hardware, 1 for front end, 1
      for embedded/back end, 1 everywhere as overall developer and the lead.

      Do you think such a team can employ Pair Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?

      Personally,
      I feel yes. The two programmers who are separately working on the
      front end and back end can combine together and form a pair. The pair
      can then work on both the front and back ends to exploit the power of
      collaborative development that is inherent in PP.

      I also have a further thinking. If this 6 member team is re-modelled,
      there might be further benefits. Presently, 1 is exclusively for
      hardware and 2 are exclusively for testing. If this demarcation with
      the other 3 software developers is dulled, the team would have 6
      people with all the functins of s/w development, testing and h/w with
      some predominance of function identified with each person (for eg. the
      earlier h/w guy will be more predominant as a h/w guy and would also
      do s/w devp/testing, the s/w folks would also put their hands in
      hardware to some extent and so on.).

      I think the above change would break the solo mode in the team and
      result into a more collaborative setup.

      Your comments pls.

      Rgds
      Ajithesh
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30, 2010
        Apart the fact that pairing with the same partner all the time is
        *very* straining, in my experience, I'd totally agree.

        2010/3/30 Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...>:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Want to hear your expert comments for the below situation:
        >
        > There is a team of 6 for an embedded project.
        > 2 of them are testers, 1 of them is for hardware, 1 for front end, 1
        > for embedded/back end, 1 everywhere as overall developer and the lead.
        >
        > Do you think such a team can employ Pair Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?
        >
        > Personally,
        > I feel yes. The two programmers who are separately working on the
        > front end and back end can combine together and form a pair. The pair
        > can then work on both the front and back ends to exploit the power of
        > collaborative development that is inherent in PP.
        >
        > I also have a further thinking. If this 6 member team is re-modelled,
        > there might be further benefits. Presently, 1 is exclusively for
        > hardware and 2 are exclusively for testing. If this demarcation with
        > the other 3 software developers is dulled, the team would have 6
        > people with all the functins of s/w development, testing and h/w with
        > some predominance of function identified with each person (for eg. the
        > earlier h/w guy will be more predominant as a h/w guy and would also
        > do s/w devp/testing, the s/w folks would also put their hands in
        > hardware to some extent and so on.).
        >
        > I think the above change would break the solo mode in the team and
        > result into a more collaborative setup.
        >
        > Your comments pls.
        >
        > Rgds
        > Ajithesh

      • D.André Dhondt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2010
          On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...>wrote:

          > There is a team of 6... [silos]. Do you think such a team can employ Pair
          > Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?
          > If this demarcation is dulled, the team ... would break the solo mode in
          > the team and
          > result into a more collaborative setup.

          It's nice in theory... but what you describe isn't a team--it's a group of
          people working on different, yet interconnected, projects.

          Pairing *could* build a team, or it may not, and then things could go badly
          and people would blame it on the pairing. If you can't establish core
          working agreements, a shared goal, open communication, and individuals who
          speak up for themselves, I'd say work on that first. Build the team, then
          introduce more practices.

          What is your role in the group? What do your coworkers say about this idea
          of breaking down the strongly defined roles? Do you follow other XP
          practices on the team?

          --
          D. André Dhondt
          mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

          Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
          Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
          https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2010
            Ajithesh,

            Ajithesh Hegde wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Want to hear your expert comments for the below situation:
            >
            > There is a team of 6 for an embedded project.
            > 2 of them are testers, 1 of them is for hardware, 1 for front end, 1
            > for embedded/back end, 1 everywhere as overall developer and the lead.
            >
            > Do you think such a team can employ Pair Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?

            Absolutely!

            > Personally,
            > I feel yes. The two programmers who are separately working on the
            > front end and back end can combine together and form a pair. The pair
            > can then work on both the front and back ends to exploit the power of
            > collaborative development that is inherent in PP.
            >
            > I also have a further thinking. If this 6 member team is re-modelled,
            > there might be further benefits. Presently, 1 is exclusively for
            > hardware and 2 are exclusively for testing. If this demarcation with
            > the other 3 software developers is dulled, the team would have 6
            > people with all the functins of s/w development, testing and h/w with
            > some predominance of function identified with each person (for eg. the
            > earlier h/w guy will be more predominant as a h/w guy and would also
            > do s/w devp/testing, the s/w folks would also put their hands in
            > hardware to some extent and so on.).

            I think you're over-planning this. Pairing should be fluid and
            changing. Let the team members decide /how/ to pair. The important
            thing is to facilitate making it easy to do so.

            - George

          • Ajithesh Hegde
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
              Andre,

              Thanks for the reply! And sorry for my late response.

              My role is that of a consultant. I am not directly interacting with the
              team. I am only talking about the Agile concepts to the technical lead of
              the team. During such talks, I proposed this idea to him.

              The team leader did not take this idea directly. He said that the
              development is coming to an end already. However, he has implemented the
              pair programming practice for test case development, he said. He is finding
              lots of benefits here, he asserted.

              I have explained the other XP practices as well. I have given him time to
              think on these and consider implementing as per his interest. He has
              started the daily standup meetings already and is finding benefits.

              Thanks to all others who replied to this topic.

              Rgds
              Ajithesh

              On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:42 PM, D.Andr� Dhondt
              <d.andre.dhondt@...>wrote:

              > On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...<ajithesh.gh%40gmail.com>
              > >wrote:
              >
              > > There is a team of 6... [silos]. Do you think such a team can employ Pair
              >

              > > Programming (PP) and reap the benefits?
              > > If this demarcation is dulled, the team ... would break the solo mode in
              >
              > > the team and
              > > result into a more collaborative setup.
              > >
              > It's nice in theory... but what you describe isn't a team--it's a group of
              > people working on different, yet interconnected, projects.
              >
              > Pairing *could* build a team, or it may not, and then things could go badly
              > and people would blame it on the pairing. If you can't establish core
              > working agreements, a shared goal, open communication, and individuals who
              > speak up for themselves, I'd say work on that first. Build the team, then
              > introduce more practices.
              >
              > What is your role in the group? What do your coworkers say about this idea
              > of breaking down the strongly defined roles? Do you follow other XP
              > practices on the team?
              >
              > --
              > D. Andr� Dhondt
              > mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
              > twitter: adhondt http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/
              >
              > Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
              > If you're in the area, join Agile Philly http://www.AgilePhilly.com<http://www.agilephilly.com/>
              > Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
              > https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

            • James Grenning
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2010
                Hello Ajithesh

                The team you are talking to might be interested in my book. Test Driven Development for Embedded C. It is currently in its first beta release at the Pragmatic Bookshelf.

                http://www.pragprog.com/titles/jgade/test-driven-development-for-embedded-c

                James

                -----
                James Grenning