Re: [XP] Including Slack

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 29, 2010
      I think we once considered it shortly. The idea never got any
      traction, as far as I can tell.

      Personally, I'd suspect that doing it weekly would wear off it's
      effect quickly. That's a pure gut feel, though.

      Thanks for the interesting question!

      Cheers, Ilja

      2010/3/29 D.André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...>:
      > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...>wrote:
      >
      >> What we are doing...is a whole day every first Wednesday in a month.
      >>
      > In your blog entry,
      > http://iljapreuss.blogspot.com/2008/05/workation-day-adapting-googles-20-free.html,
      > you mentioned that you didn't see a drop in velocity for the week that
      > includes a full day of slack.
      >
      > If it doesn't impact velocity, it seems natural to me to try this every week
      > instead of only monthly.  Did the team consider it?
      >

      > --
      > D. André Dhondt
      > mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
      > twitter: adhondt   http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
      > If you're in the area, join Agile Philly http://www.AgilePhilly.com
      > Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
      > https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

    • D.André Dhondt
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 1, 2010
        On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM, George Dinwiddie
        <lists@...>wrote:

        > What do you mean by "creative slack?"

        It's not easy to explain--my response is here:

        http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2010/04/slack-were-not-slacking-off.html

        Just as a teaser:

        I see two kinds of slack for a software team. The first is *buffer slack*�it
        is the down time between official work, be that work related to story cards,
        administration, or meetings. It is work that happens when we�re waiting on
        someone else or we�re not yet ready to take on new work...

        *Creative slack* requires a bit of forethought, a consideration of the
        feasibility and impact of the next few moves. *Creative slack* requires a
        significant investment and focus before one can start advancing. ... *Creative
        slack *happens when the team explicitly schedules it; on my current team
        it�s the time between iterations, and it is typically 15% of our work week.

        --
        D. Andr� Dhondt