Re: [XP] Including Slack

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 29, 2010
      Well, first and foremost, stated a preference, to illustrate why I
      think I'd prefer to do slack as a whole team, at the same time. I
      think team size shouldn't be an as big hurdle with slack as it is with
      one story flow.

      And as an aside, our team currently has the size of two pairs, so we
      manage to work on just one story more often than probably would be the
      case with a bigger team. Which wouldn't change my *preference* when
      working in a bigger team, though, I assume.

      Cheers, Ilja

      2010/3/29 D.André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...>:
      > On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...>wrote:
      >
      >> What I'm getting at is that I prefer teamwork to be about really
      >> working together on the same stuff, at the same time... on the same story
      >>
      > This has never worked well for me.  We'll often have two pairs on the same
      > card, but more than that, we don't know how to do.
      >
      > Our stories are mostly 1/2 to 2 pair days long, anything bigger and we'll
      > slice it up.  We'll schedule related stories together, mostly, but our team
      > has gone from 10 to 7 developers over the last couple years and even at 7 we
      > can't all seem to find something useful to contribute to such a small story.
      >  Every once in a while we'll put a 'task force' on some big change, and
      > everyone can do that together, but that's not in our typical iteration.
      >

      > --
      > D. André Dhondt
      > mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
      > twitter: adhondt   http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/
      >
      > Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
      > If you're in the area, join Agile Philly http://www.AgilePhilly.com
      > Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
      > https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

    • D.André Dhondt
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 1, 2010
        On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM, George Dinwiddie
        <lists@...>wrote:

        > What do you mean by "creative slack?"

        It's not easy to explain--my response is here:

        http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2010/04/slack-were-not-slacking-off.html

        Just as a teaser:

        I see two kinds of slack for a software team. The first is *buffer slack*�it
        is the down time between official work, be that work related to story cards,
        administration, or meetings. It is work that happens when we�re waiting on
        someone else or we�re not yet ready to take on new work...

        *Creative slack* requires a bit of forethought, a consideration of the
        feasibility and impact of the next few moves. *Creative slack* requires a
        significant investment and focus before one can start advancing. ... *Creative
        slack *happens when the team explicitly schedules it; on my current team
        it�s the time between iterations, and it is typically 15% of our work week.

        --
        D. Andr� Dhondt