Agile Development at Guidewire

  • Ted Young
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2010
      [Hope you don't mind the cross-posting]

      Hi folks,

      We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
      36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:

      http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile

      Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.

      Thanks!
      ;ted

      --
      Ted M. Young, Development Lead & Agile Coach
      BillingCenter® Team, Guidewire Software

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 28, 2010
        Hey Ted,

        This is good stuff, thanks for sharing.

        On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

        > [Hope you don't mind the cross-posting]
        >
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
        > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
        >
        > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
        >
        > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > ;ted
        >
        > --
        > Ted M. Young, Development Lead & Agile Coach
        > BillingCenter� Team, Guidewire Software
        > San Mateo, CA, USA

        Julio

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5 8:37 AM
          Hi, Ted,

          I finally got around to watching your video. Very nice! I especially
          like the time-lapse sequence showing people working together in an
          organic fashion.

          - George

          Ted Young wrote:
          > [Hope you don't mind the cross-posting]
          >
          > Hi folks,
          >
          > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
          > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
          >
          > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
          >
          > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.

        • Andrew
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5 1:46 PM
            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes and
            > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
            >
            > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
            >
            > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > ;ted

            Great video Ted.
            Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came off easily when you wanted to move them.

            Andrew Wall
          • Ted Young
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5 3:35 PM
              Hi Andrew,

              Thanks.

              We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
              regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
              use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).

              ;ted

              On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...> wrote:

              > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi folks,
              > >
              > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
              > and
              > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
              > >
              > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
              > >
              > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > ;ted
              >
              > Great video Ted.
              > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
              > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came off
              > easily when you wanted to move them.
              >
              > Andrew Wall

            • Allen Higgins
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6 8:36 AM
                Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
                Allen

                On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:

                > Hi Andrew,
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > We switched from using Sortable Post-It Cards to using StikkiClips and
                > regular index cards. That way cards no longer fall off the wall and we can
                > use a wider variety of cards (in terms of color and size).
                >
                > ;ted
                >

                > On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Andrew <ajwall.geo@...<ajwall.geo%40yahoo.com>>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com<extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > Ted Young <tedyoung@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi folks,
                > > >
                > > > We recently completed a mini-documentary (really mini: about 6 minutes
                > > and
                > > > 36 seconds) about how and why we do Agile at Guidewire Software:
                > > >
                > > > http://www.guidewire.com/about_guidewire/v/agile
                > > >
                > > > Comments, questions, and other feedback are most welcome.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks!
                > > > ;ted
                > >
                > > Great video Ted.
                > > Tell us about the story boards. What is the mechanism that sticks the
                > > cards to the boards? - I noticed the cards stayed on the board, but came
                > off
                > > easily when you wanted to move them.
                > >
                > > Andrew Wall

              • Karl Scotland
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6 9:13 AM
                  On 6 April 2010 16:36, Allen Higgins <allen.higgins@...> wrote:

                  > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...

                  If you find one let me know - I failed and resorted to bribing friends to
                  bring some over for me. I know have a nice stash at home :)

                  Karl

                  --
                  Karl Scotland
                  Lean & Agile Coach

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6 10:42 AM
                    Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
                    wrote:

                    > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...

                    I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                    in one place on the wall and hold different cards.

                    What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                    somewhere else, etc.

                    So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                    For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.

                    Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.

                    www.xprogramming.com/blog
                    The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
                    and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd
                  • Ted Young
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 6 11:48 AM
                      True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
                      re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
                      marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
                      paint with them.

                      For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
                      around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
                      we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
                      surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

                      ;ted

                      On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      > Hello, Allen. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 11:36:38 AM, you
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > Nice, now to find a European supplier of StikkiClips...
                      >
                      > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                      > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                      >
                      > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                      > somewhere else, etc.
                      >
                      > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                      > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                      >
                      > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                      >
                      > Ron Jeffries
                      > www.XProgramming.com
                      > www.xprogramming.com/blog
                      > The truth ain't like puppies, a bunch of 'em runnin' around
                      > and you pick your favorite. --Emerson Codd

                    • Victor
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6 11:57 AM
                        A magnetic board helps. Then magnetic clips (or refrigerator clips) will do
                        the job.

                        Víctor

                        =========================

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 6 1:49 PM
                          On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                          > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                          > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                          >
                          > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                          > somewhere else, etc.
                          >
                          > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                          > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                          >
                          > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.

                          Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                          year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                          maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                          you can't add anymore work.

                          Karl

                          --
                          Karl Scotland
                          Lean & Agile Coach

                        • Ted Young
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 6 2:40 PM
                            Hi Karl,

                            Exactly. And watch out for folks putting multiple cards on a single clip.
                            :-)

                            (Yes, it's happened, and it was a good opportunity to reinforce _why_ the
                            number of clips was limited).

                            ;ted

                            On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Karl Scotland <kjscotland@...>wrote:

                            > On 6 April 2010 18:42, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > > I bought some. We tested one today. What they will do well is stay
                            > > in one place on the wall and hold different cards.
                            > >
                            > > What they will not do well is deal with being stuck, removed, stuck
                            > > somewhere else, etc.
                            > >
                            > > So for a "permanent" installation of clips on a board, good.
                            > > For occasional use to hang cards and move them around, not so good.
                            > >
                            > > Probably this was obvious to everyone but me.
                            > >

                            > Good point Ron. I came across them at the Kanban Conference in Miami last
                            > year because they work well if you are explicitly limitting WIP to a fixed
                            > maximum. The Stikki Clips function as work slots. When they are all used,
                            > you can't add anymore work.
                            >
                            > Karl
                            >
                            > --
                            > Karl Scotland
                            > Lean & Agile Coach
                            > http://www.availagility.co.uk/

                          • Curtis Cooley
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 6 2:52 PM

                              --
                              Curtis Cooley
                              curtis.cooley@...
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 6 3:22 PM
                                Hello, Ted. On Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 2:48:25 PM, you wrote:

                                > True - they're not meant to be moved very much: how much you can move and
                                > re-stick them depends on the surface you're sticking them to. They can leave
                                > marks on painted walls, or, if cheaply/poorly painted, they can take some
                                > paint with them.

                                > For us, the stickiness was more important than the ability to move them
                                > around at will. The surface of our walls don't hold post-its very well and
                                > we were constantly seeing post-its fly off the wall. For whiteboard-like
                                > surfaces, post-its (and the sortable post-it cards) work really well.

                                Yes, I can see that for a permanent card area they might be quite
                                nifty.

                                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca