Including Slack

  • Bill Caputo
    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 12, 2010
      Hi All,

      What's worked well, and less well for ensuring teams have enough
      slack. Some ideas I've seen tried (and none that I really like)
      include: task/story cards to block out time; dedicating a certain
      afternoon (e.g. Friday's) to 'personal time'; devoting all time after
      a certain time (e.g. after 3PM as non-task time) and others along
      these lines. Not to say that any or all of these can't work, but
      rather I've never been satisfied with the result.

      Thanks,
      Bill
    • D.André Dhondt
      Message 54 of 54 , Apr 1 2:25 PM
        On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:59 AM, George Dinwiddie
        <lists@...>wrote:

        > What do you mean by "creative slack?"

        It's not easy to explain--my response is here:

        http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2010/04/slack-were-not-slacking-off.html

        Just as a teaser:

        I see two kinds of slack for a software team. The first is *buffer slack*�it
        is the down time between official work, be that work related to story cards,
        administration, or meetings. It is work that happens when we�re waiting on
        someone else or we�re not yet ready to take on new work...

        *Creative slack* requires a bit of forethought, a consideration of the
        feasibility and impact of the next few moves. *Creative slack* requires a
        significant investment and focus before one can start advancing. ... *Creative
        slack *happens when the team explicitly schedules it; on my current team
        it�s the time between iterations, and it is typically 15% of our work week.

        --
        D. Andr� Dhondt
        mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

        Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
        Mentor/be mentored for free: the Agile Skills Project
        https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/