tdd and javascript

  • David Carlton
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8 5:05 PM
      I'm soon going to be doing JavaScript programming for (basically) the first
      time, and I was wondering what people found were the most useful TDD
      libraries out there. Some googling suggesting that a combination of QUnit
      and JsTestDriver might be a reasonable place to start, but I figured I'd ask
      for opinions here before delving into anything in depth.

      Thanks,
      David Carlton
      carlton@...

    • James Carr
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8 5:21 PM
        I did "A Week of Javascript TDD" awhile back to try several frameworks out.
        See http://blog.james-carr.org/category/tdd-javascript-series/.

        The info is a bit dated though (already!) and my personal favorite, jspec (
        http://jspec.info) has a slew of new features. It's a pretty faithful port
        of rspec with jquery extensions, built in mock/stub support, over 26
        different matchers, mock timers, ajax stubbing, and fixture support. I
        really like it. :)

        Thanks,
        James

        On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM, David Carlton <carlton@...> wrote:

        > I'm soon going to be doing JavaScript programming for (basically) the first
        > time, and I was wondering what people found were the most useful TDD
        > libraries out there. Some googling suggesting that a combination of QUnit
        > and JsTestDriver might be a reasonable place to start, but I figured I'd
        > ask
        > for opinions here before delving into anything in depth.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > David Carlton
        > carlton@... <carlton%40bactrian.org>

      • David Cole
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8 6:46 PM
          Hey!

          Check out Pickle for jQuery: http://github.com/twilson63/pickle

          It's like Cucumber, but for JavaScript.

          David

          I did "A Week of Javascript TDD" awhile back to try several frameworks out.
          See http://blog.james-carr.org/category/tdd-javascript-series/.

          The info is a bit dated though (already!) and my personal favorite, jspec (
          http://jspec.info) has a slew of new features. It's a pretty faithful port
          of rspec with jquery extensions, built in mock/stub support, over 26
          different matchers, mock timers, ajax stubbing, and fixture support. I
          really like it. :)

          Thanks,
          James

          On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM, David Carlton <carlton@...> wrote:

          > I'm soon going to be doing JavaScript programming for (basically) the
          first
          > time, and I was wondering what people found were the most useful TDD
          > libraries out there. Some googling suggesting that a combination of QUnit
          > and JsTestDriver might be a reasonable place to start, but I figured I'd
          > ask
          > for opinions here before delving into anything in depth.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > David Carlton
          > carlton@... <carlton%40bactrian.org>

        • Ikenna Nwaiwu
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9 9:42 AM
            +1 for JsTestDriver.

            When I used it a few months back I was quite happy with it. My one wish was for an easy way to combine it with something like ScrewUnit (whose syntax I liked better). If I remember correctly Qunit follows the BDD style like ScrewUnit, so I think Qunit+JsTestDriver would also be a good combination.

            --Ikenna
          • James Carr
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9 11:02 AM
              You can actually include different TDD/BDD frameworks within jsTestDriver,
              it's just that at the moment you kind of have to hack the support in by
              using some javascript based adapters. One of these days I'm going to pick up
              my side project of making it easier to plug different frameworks in, with
              JsTestDriver really just being the runner for them (which is how I view it).

              Thanks,
              James

              On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Ikenna Nwaiwu <ikenna4u@...> wrote:

              > +1 for JsTestDriver.
              >
              > When I used it a few months back I was quite happy with it. My one wish was
              > for an easy way to combine it with something like ScrewUnit (whose syntax I
              > liked better). If I remember correctly Qunit follows the BDD style like
              > ScrewUnit, so I think Qunit+JsTestDriver would also be a good combination.
              >
              > --Ikenna

            • David Carlton
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14 11:38 AM
                Thanks to everybody for the responses, I really appreciate it!

                --
                David Carlton
                carlton@...