Re: [XP] Kai Gilb: 7 truths about Agile and Scrum that people don't want to hear

  • Laurent Bossavit
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
      Short assessment: "anti" rhetoric, aka bashing. Ignore.

      Here's a constructive suggestion: mostly pay attention to people who
      are bringing forward new, valuable ideas. If these ideas do, in fact,
      adress shortcomings in Agile thinking, and are compatible with Agile,
      then they will be adopted by Agile practitioners, whose motto is "I'll
      have what they're having."

      (For more on where that phrase comes from, see my Pask article: http://www.paskaward.org/publications/bossavit100225.html
      )

      Do pay attention to critics, for criticism is valuable. I'm willing to
      spend time to listen to thoughtful arguments that what we advocate is
      counter-productive with respect to benefit X that we seek. Ultimately
      such arguments should yield testable predictions, with empirical
      inquiry deciding which theory is applicable in which context.

      However, "Agile has a FATAL flaw which is adressed by idea X which
      I've been advocating" is a marketing tactic. Please give me idea X
      without the faux-skeptic message.

      It is simply untrue that "Agile [...] doesn't say anything about
      requirements". The claim doesn't stand up to a minute of scrutiny, and
      making that claim undermines pretty much everything around it.

      Agile does say plenty about requirements. It says some things which
      are subjects of controversy *within* the Agile community, for instance
      James Shore's recent "apostasy", if that's the right word, regarding
      automated acceptance tests.

      Yes, and there are ideas I'd like to see spreading much more in the
      Agile community. Practical thinking around requirements and what type
      of conceptual work goes into "delivering value" rather than churning
      out lines of code. That includes things like the too little known work
      on Project Charters, or what the BDD people have been doing to mangle
      acceptance testing into thinking about business value.

      And it's all work that's happening *within* the Agile community
      without these people running around say "Oh dear, oh dear, Agile has
      these fatal flaws which we must immediately adress on pain of fading
      back into obscurity." Sarcasm intended, but gentle sarcasm.

      Kai: I'm interested in your ideas, the best way to advance them is to
      package them into a session or two and come present them at Agile2010.
      Share your expertise and your experience. If people don't seem
      interested in taking up your ideas, see that as a hint to improve the
      packaging of the ideas, rather than as evidence that the Agile
      community is somehow stuffing its head in the sand.

      There is no "truth we don't want to hear". Agile is, as far as I can
      see, a mostly healthy community of inquiry. Could we become even more
      so? Certainly. But let's focus our energies on the inquiry, rather
      than on pretending, for rhetorical reasons, that the inquiry is impeded.

      Cheers,
      Laurent Bossavit
      laurent@...
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
        Frankly, I'm tired of people who tell me how Agile Software
        Development is inadequate and needs to change. If you know something
        that helps me do my job better, teach it to me. If it's good, it will
        spread. Telling me that what 17 people have agreed upon and written
        down in just two days a decade ago is somehow incomplete or misses the
        point, doesn't provide me any value.

        As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't see how to add a comment to
        that blog?

        Cheers, Ilja

        2010/3/3 Sebastian <paymentexpert@...>:
        > First I thought this would be the usual rant but there is more to it than I initially thought:
        >
        > http://gilb.com/blogpost111-7-truths-about-Agile-and-Scrum-that-people-don-t-want-to-hear-Part-0-of-7
        >
        > The goal is really to aid the user and not to produce working software. The latter is just a precondition, not the goal for the stakeholders such as the users of the software.
        >
        > Maybe Agile should step to the next level: From creating working software to create solutions that help the stakeholders meet their individual goals.
        >
        > What do you think?
        >
        > Sebastian Kübeck

      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
          I guess I should just have waited a few more minutes to just post a
          "+1" :) You said it much better than I was able to.

          Thanks, Ilja

        • Dave Rooney
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
            On 03/03/2010 8:05 AM, Ilja Preuß wrote:
            > As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't see how to add a comment to
            > that blog?

            Nope - I couldn't see a link either.

            --

            Dave Rooney
            Agile Coach and Co-founder, Westboro Systems
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
              Well said, Laurent.

              I would actually agree with Kai to an extent if he were focusing on XP
              or Scrum circa 2001. My experience is that User Stories alone that can
              be completed in a single 1-3 week iteration/sprint are too granular to
              describe a whole system.

              Indeed, this is where chartering come into play, as well as some of the
              drill-down approaches such as Mike Cohn's Theme-Epic-Story or Jim
              Highsmith's Capability-Feature-Story. Even in 2004ish Industrial XP had
              Release Stories and Iteration Stories. It's these higher level
              aggregations that describe the business value.

              A question for the community - Kai used the example User Story from the
              Scrum Training Institute of "As a buyer, I want to place a book in the
              shopping cart"
              (http://scrumtraininginstitute.com/home/stream_download/scrumprimer on
              page 8). What do you think of this as a story?

              My first impression is that there is no statement of the business value
              using the "so that" clause. This is Kai's argument to an extent, and
              something that I insist is included in Stories - if the Customer/Product
              Owner can't say why they want something, then it probably shouldn't be
              built!

              I'm also not terribly comfortable with "place a book in the shopping
              cart". Kent, Ron, Chet & any others involved in C3 and early XP
              projects, did you extend the System Metaphor to the text in the
              stories? I do realize that the "As a <role>, I want to <action>, so
              that <value>" format came later, but did you the Metaphor simply live in
              the discussions and code, or did you use it in the Stories as well?

              --

              On 03/03/2010 7:51 AM, Laurent Bossavit wrote:
> [...]
              > without these people running around say "Oh dear, oh dear, Agile has
              > these fatal flaws which we must immediately adress on pain of fading
              > back into obscurity." Sarcasm intended, but gentle sarcasm.
              >
              > Kai: I'm interested in your ideas, the best way to advance them is to
              > package them into a session or two and come present them at Agile2010.
              > Share your expertise and your experience. If people don't seem
              > interested in taking up your ideas, see that as a hint to improve the
              > packaging of the ideas, rather than as evidence that the Agile
              > community is somehow stuffing its head in the sand.
              >
              > There is no "truth we don't want to hear". Agile is, as far as I can
              > see, a mostly healthy community of inquiry. Could we become even more
              > so? Certainly. But let's focus our energies on the inquiry, rather
              > than on pretending, for rhetorical reasons, that the inquiry is impeded.

            • Ilja Preuß
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                Hi Dave,

                > A question for the community - Kai used the example User Story from the
                > Scrum Training Institute of "As a buyer, I want to place a book in the
                > shopping cart"
                > (http://scrumtraininginstitute.com/home/stream_download/scrumprimer on
                > page 8).  What do you think of this as a story?

                I think it's totally ok, if you take into account that it's *a promise
                for a conversation*. A competent team will take that story and ask
                questions, inquiring where the business value is coming from, what
                alternative implementations there might be etc. Assuming that the team
                is supposed to just silently accept that story as is and implement it
                without asking questions is a strawman argument, ignoring the highly
                collaborative working style expected of Agile teams.

                Thanks for asking that question, answering it has been quite
                insightful for me! :)

                Cheers, Ilja
              • Dave Rooney
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                  On 03/03/2010 9:13 AM, Ilja Preuß wrote:
                  >> A question for the community - Kai used the example User Story from the
                  >> Scrum Training Institute of "As a buyer, I want to place a book in the
                  >> shopping cart"
                  >> (http://scrumtraininginstitute.com/home/stream_download/scrumprimer on
                  >> page 8). What do you think of this as a story?
                  >>
                  > I think it's totally ok, if you take into account that it's *a promise
                  > for a conversation*. A competent team will take that story and ask
                  > questions, inquiring where the business value is coming from, what
                  > alternative implementations there might be etc. Assuming that the team
                  > is supposed to just silently accept that story as is and implement it
                  > without asking questions is a strawman argument, ignoring the highly
                  > collaborative working style expected of Agile teams.

                  Yes! Martin Fowler wrote about that recently:
                  http://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/DecreedStories.html . I hadn't
                  thought about Martin's Bliki entry in the context of this discussion,
                  though, but it makes perfect sense. If the Stories are 'decreed' then I
                  could see Kai's point, but that would actually be a failure mode of Agile.

                  > Thanks for asking that question, answering it has been quite
                  > insightful for me! :)

                  Heh, thanks for thanking me! I'm actually starting to "get" the concept
                  of asking more questions than providing opinions! :)

                  --

                  Dave Rooney
                  Agile Coach and Co-founder, Westboro Systems
                  "Maximizing the value of your IT investments!"
                  E-mail: dave.rooney@...
                  Twitter: daverooneyca
                  http://www.westborosystems.com
                  http://practicalagility.blogspot.com
                • Charlie Poole
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                    Hi Dave,

                    > On 03/03/2010 8:05 AM, Ilja Preuß wrote:
                    > > As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't see how to add a
                    > comment to
                    > > that blog?
                    > >

                    > Nope - I couldn't see a link either.

                    This looks like blogging as a publishing mechanism - no feedback
                    desired. It's an odd model for us, but some folks use it.

                    It's somewhat amusing is that lack of understanding of feedback
                    is evident in the text as well.

                    Charlie
                  • Ilja Preuß
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                      Interestingly, there *are* already comments posted. I contacted Kay on
                      twitter about it - perhaps we are missing something, or it's an
                      oversight. I will keep you posted.

                      Cheers, Ilja

                      2010/3/3 Charlie Poole <cpoole@...>:
                      > Hi Dave,
                      >
                      >> On 03/03/2010 8:05 AM, Ilja Preuß wrote:
                      >> > As an aside, am I the only one who doesn't see how to add a
                      >> comment to
                      >> > that blog?
                      >> >

                      >> Nope - I couldn't see a link either.
                      >
                      > This looks like blogging as a publishing mechanism - no feedback
                      > desired. It's an odd model for us, but some folks use it.
                      >
                      > It's somewhat amusing is that lack of understanding of feedback
                      > is evident in the text as well.
                      >
                      > Charlie

                    • Ricardo Mayerhofer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                        Jeff Patton talks about this subject in his presentation:
                        http://agileproductdesign.com/downloads/patton_embrace_uncertainty_optimized.ppt

                        Em 3/3/2010 10:35, Dave Rooney escreveu:
                        > Well said, Laurent.
                        >
                        > I would actually agree with Kai to an extent if he were focusing on XP
                        > or Scrum circa 2001. My experience is that User Stories alone that can
                        > be completed in a single 1-3 week iteration/sprint are too granular to
                        > describe a whole system.
                        >
                        > Indeed, this is where chartering come into play, as well as some of the
                        > drill-down approaches such as Mike Cohn's Theme-Epic-Story or Jim
                        > Highsmith's Capability-Feature-Story. Even in 2004ish Industrial XP had
                        > Release Stories and Iteration Stories. It's these higher level
                        > aggregations that describe the business value.
                        >
                        > A question for the community - Kai used the example User Story from the
                        > Scrum Training Institute of "As a buyer, I want to place a book in the
                        > shopping cart"
                        > (http://scrumtraininginstitute.com/home/stream_download/scrumprimer on
                        > page 8). What do you think of this as a story?
                        >
                        > My first impression is that there is no statement of the business value
                        > using the "so that" clause. This is Kai's argument to an extent, and
                        > something that I insist is included in Stories - if the Customer/Product
                        > Owner can't say why they want something, then it probably shouldn't be
                        > built!
                        >
                        > I'm also not terribly comfortable with "place a book in the shopping
                        > cart". Kent, Ron, Chet& any others involved in C3 and early XP
                        > projects, did you extend the System Metaphor to the text in the
                        > stories? I do realize that the "As a<role>, I want to<action>, so
                        > that<value>" format came later, but did you the Metaphor simply live in
                        > the discussions and code, or did you use it in the Stories as well?

                      • Sebastian
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                          Maybe he was talking about the ones at InfoQ...

                          http://www.infoq.com/news/2010/03/serious-flaws-agile-scrum

                          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...> wrote:

                          > Interestingly, there *are* already comments posted. I contacted Kay on
                          > twitter about it - perhaps we are missing something, or it's an
                          > oversight. I will keep you posted.
                          >
                          > Cheers, Ilja
                          >
                          > 2010/3/3 Charlie Poole <cpoole@...>:
                          > > Hi Dave,

                          > >> comment to
                          > >> >

                          > >> Nope - I couldn't see a link either.
                          > >
                          > > This looks like blogging as a publishing mechanism - no feedback
                          > > desired. It's an odd model for us, but some folks use it.
                          > >
                          > > It's somewhat amusing is that lack of understanding of feedback
                          > > is evident in the text as well.
                          > >
                          > > Charlie

                        • JackM
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 3, 2010
                            I read this post. It's easy to focus on one aspect of Scrum whilst ignoring other aspects. For example, Kai shows the Scrum process drawing ... nowhere does he show the feedback loop which is designed to ensure that the process is producing value - that's exactly what the Demo, retrospective is all about.

                            Picking off the top of the product backlog is all about picking the high value customer stuff in accordance with guidance from PO, Customer and/or stakeholder.
                            Delivering working software early means you get to hear this feedback from users sooner, so you get value sooner.

                            Scrum is all about delivering value.

                            The Manifesto is more of a mission statement, to serve as a guidance away from traditional waterfall methods which generally force us into analysis paralysis mode.

                            The second part of the blog, about the stories, well what are acceptance tests all about, definition of done criteria etc. This rant is selective hearing.

                            Jack
                            www.agilebuddy.com
                            twitter.com/agilebuddy
                            blog.agilebuddy.com

                            --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Sebastian" <paymentexpert@...> wrote:

                            > First I thought this would be the usual rant but there is more to it than I initially thought:
                            >
                            > http://gilb.com/blogpost111-7-truths-about-Agile-and-Scrum-that-people-don-t-want-to-hear-Part-0-of-7
                            >
                            > The goal is really to aid the user and not to produce working software. The latter is just a precondition, not the goal for the stakeholders such as the users of the software.
                            >
                            > Maybe Agile should step to the next level: From creating working software to create solutions that help the stakeholders meet their individual goals.
                            >
                            > What do you think?
                            >
                            > Sebastian K�beck

                          • Tim Ottinger
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
                                I've been teaching CS students and project managers (most without software backgrounds) Agile ideas for several years now, trying to meld the themes and principles I've seen as a lurker on this group since 2000, and a follower of XP discussions on comp.object.moderated before that.

                                To me it's been blatantly obvious that the whole point was to deliver early client value. I start my spiels for PMs with three top goals any project process should have, in this order of importance:

                                - a satisfied client
                                - a happy productive team
                                - a profitable business

                                I did resonate very slightly with two points. One is that *students* often write stories of functional but not business value. I just tried my hand at a blog entry on this here:

                                http://allcritiquesgreatandsmall.blogspot.com/2010/03/early-client-value-is-more-than-just.html

                                And like the Gilbs, I get more insight out of the Agile Principles than the Agile Manifesto. But it's grasping at straws to say that that's putting value on page two.

                                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Sebastian" <paymentexpert@...> wrote:

                                > First I thought this would be the usual rant but there is more to it than I initially thought:
                                >
                                > http://gilb.com/blogpost111-7-truths-about-Agile-and-Scrum-that-people-don-t-want-to-hear-Part-0-of-7
                                >
                                > The goal is really to aid the user and not to produce working software. The latter is just a precondition, not the goal for the stakeholders such as the users of the software.
                                >
                                > Maybe Agile should step to the next level: From creating working software to create solutions that help the stakeholders meet their individual goals.
                                >
                                > What do you think?
                                >
                                > Sebastian Kübeck

                              • Ilja Preuß
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
                                  OK, apparently you need to register with the site to be able to
                                  comment. Not sure I wanna do that.

                                  Cheers, Ilja

                                  2010/3/3 Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...>:
                                  > Interestingly, there *are* already comments posted. I contacted Kay on
                                  > twitter about it - perhaps we are missing something, or it's an
                                  > oversight. I will keep you posted.
                                  >
                                  > Cheers, Ilja
                                  >
                                  > 2010/3/3 Charlie Poole <cpoole@...>:
                                  >> Hi Dave,

                                  >>> comment to
                                  >>> >

                                  >>> Nope - I couldn't see a link either.
                                  >>
                                  >> This looks like blogging as a publishing mechanism - no feedback
                                  >> desired. It's an odd model for us, but some folks use it.
                                  >>
                                  >> It's somewhat amusing is that lack of understanding of feedback
                                  >> is evident in the text as well.
                                  >>
                                  >> Charlie

                                • Tim Ottinger
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 4, 2010
                                    > However, "Agile has a FATAL flaw which is adressed by idea X which
                                    > I've been advocating" is a marketing tactic. Please give me idea X
                                    > without the faux-skeptic message.

                                    I think that's just another way to say "Agile fails to promote my
                                    business model."

                                    Tim Ottinger
                                    http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                                    http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                                  • paul
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 9, 2010
                                      Clearly the author has difficulty understanding plain English.

                                      The only part of it that I thought had any merit whatsoever was the notion that agile is "developer centric". Well so what ??, happy developers are productive developers.

                                      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Sebastian" <paymentexpert@...> wrote:

                                      > First I thought this would be the usual rant but there is more to it than I initially thought:
                                      >
                                      > http://gilb.com/blogpost111-7-truths-about-Agile-and-Scrum-that-people-don-t-want-to-hear-Part-0-of-7
                                      >
                                      > The goal is really to aid the user and not to produce working software. The latter is just a precondition, not the goal for the stakeholders such as the users of the software.
                                      >
                                      > Maybe Agile should step to the next level: From creating working software to create solutions that help the stakeholders meet their individual goals.
                                      >
                                      > What do you think?
                                      >
                                      > Sebastian Kübeck

                                    • Steve Ropa
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 10, 2010
                                        I honestly don't agree that agile is "developer centric". In enables developers greatly , but the underlying message continues to be that we are developing the software that *provides business value*.

                                        The other part of his rant that I just don't understand is his assertion that agile hampers creativity. How could a sentence on a card that starts a conversation about a feature possibly be more restrictive than a 30 page document with a list of "shalls" and "shall nots"?