Re: [XP] xp and remote workers

  • Franz Allan Valencia See
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 28, 2010
      Ok, I see your point. "work" is relative. If you can have team co-located
      then that would be really great! But sometimes, it's just not
      practical/economical.

      What I was just trying to emphasise is that you cannot remove the feedback
      cycles or the communication just because you're not co-located. You cannot
      make that as an excuse not to talk to the guy on the other timezone because
      that would be much worse.

      Sure, it would be harder. Sure some practices, might not even work (or not
      be cost-effective) on distributed teams. And sure you may not be as agile as
      you can be. But you can be agile enough to get things done ( That's what I
      like about the Agile Manifesto, even if you can't make certain agile
      methodologies/practices work, as long as you go back to the basics, you will
      be able find your way. )

      IMHO, if you have a distributed team, there's three things you can do:
      1.) Try make distributed agile work,
      2.) Drop the team on the 'other side', or
      3.) Go with a non-agile approach,

      Depending on your organisation and your experience, you can go with #1 or #2
      (or combination). But personally, #1 beats waterfall (for most scenarios).
      From my experience, people usually go with #1 than #2 (whether it's because
      #1 is more economical than #2 or whether #1 only looks more economical than
      #2...i don't know :-) ).

      But of course, this is coming from a guy who's usually in the receiving end
      of the outsourcing (I'm from the Philippines) so I may be bias (my whole
      experience is practically geared towards providing services outside my
      timezone) :-)

      PS: Sorry if I'm being a bit to chatty on the topic. Unlike most of you,
      this is the first time I'm discussing this on this mailing list so I guess I
      have some things I want to share on the topic :-)

      Cheers,
      --
      Franz Allan Valencia See | Java Software Engineer
      franz.see@...

      --
      Franz Allan Valencia See | Java Software Engineer
      franz.see@...
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/franzsee
      Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/franz_see

    • paul
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 9 10:14 AM
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Heinrich Breedt <heinrichbreedt@...> wrote:

        > No worries mate.
        >
        > I actually did some research into it. I guess what im wondering is, if
        > anyone is doing remote pairing, or distributed agile, do they have any tips
        > as far as technology that would make it easier.

        Not a technology tip but - I'm leading a split team here. One thing we do is try to work on the stories that are challenging (in the sense that they have lots of subtle nuances or edge cases) onshore and then feed derivative stories or stories with more clear cut requirements to the offshore team.