Re: The Dismal Craft : Was Re: [XP] Large and Complex code will have global variables, tight coupling, etc...

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 28, 2010
      On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Petite Abeille
      <petite.abeille@...> wrote:

      > On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:23 AM, John Carter wrote:
      >
      > > Another way of looking at the problem is that Software Quality is a
      > > very _minor_ part of what determines the _income_ of a company.
      >
      > There are empirical evidences suggesting that Big Ball of Mud is a rather effective methodology :D
      >
      > http://www.laputan.org/mud/

      There is ample evidence that software development is highly profitable
      in the long run despite even odds on complete project failure. I would
      like to believe that this is unsustainable, but it has been this way
      for a while. It would be better for our craft if the margins were a
      bit lower and we needed to make stuff that worked (and didn't suck) in
      order to compete.
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 28, 2010