Large and Complex code will have global variables, tight coupling, etc...

  • geoffrey_slinker
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 3 9:06 AM
      Okay, call me stupid, but I just figured out something that has been right in front of me!

      Many programmers feel that once a code base gets to a certain size and or complexity then poor practices are justified.

      I didn't catch on to this until this morning!

      What I am saying is this is an attitude that is deeply entrenched. Also I have found that when I say it doesn't have to be that way the developers seem to be saying in a round-a-bout manner, "I thought you knew that large and complex software is difficult. Only junior developers struggle with and can't manage complex coupling, global state, and other aspects of large software. I guess we know what type of developer YOU are."

      Truly it seems that large complex software is justification for poor practices.

      I think the reason is based on an idea that "when dealing with large software change the code as little as possible when fixing a bug or adding functionality.

      For instance, if a method needs more information, instead of changing the method signature and passing in the information a member variable is added to the class and the method access the new member variable to get the additional information.

      Also, I don't hold much hope in changing anyone's mind on this.

      I am just a stupid junior programmer that just doesn't understand that managing global state, tight coupling, and duplicate code are part of large software systems and that is why senior developers are senior, they can manage these necessary constructs of large software development.

      I think I will go home, load up Call to Duty, put a silencer on my P90, and take out some frustration on some on-line enemies.

      Geoff
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 28 4:27 PM
        On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Petite Abeille
        <petite.abeille@...> wrote:

        > On Mar 1, 2010, at 12:23 AM, John Carter wrote:
        >
        > > Another way of looking at the problem is that Software Quality is a
        > > very _minor_ part of what determines the _income_ of a company.
        >
        > There are empirical evidences suggesting that Big Ball of Mud is a rather effective methodology :D
        >
        > http://www.laputan.org/mud/

        There is ample evidence that software development is highly profitable
        in the long run despite even odds on complete project failure. I would
        like to believe that this is unsustainable, but it has been this way
        for a while. It would be better for our craft if the margins were a
        bit lower and we needed to make stuff that worked (and didn't suck) in
        order to compete.