Reminder: Feb 4th Agile Bazaar meeting

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2010
      What: New England Agile Bazaar January meeting
      Topic: Agile Life Science Project: A Customer Experience
      Speaker: Amir Elfar
      When: Thursday Feb 4, 6 - 9pm
      Where: IBM Innovation Center, 404 Wyman Street, North Entrance,
      Waltham, MA
      Cost: Free including food, courtesy of our sponsors

      *** SPONSORS ***
      AccuRev http://www.accurev.com/
      Avid http://www.avid.com/
      Big Visible Solutions http://www.bigvisible.com/
      Constant Contact http://www.constantcontact.com/
      IBM http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
      Lean-Agile Partners http://www.leanagilepartners.com/
      Rally Software http://www.rallydev.com/
      VersionOne http://versionone.com/
      ****************

      Details and RSVP at http://www.agilebazaar.org

      Topic Abstract:
      MedAvante needed to streamline its system for scheduling and recording
      psychological assessments in central nervous system drug trials. Eleven
      months had passed in the due diligence process, between initial
      requirements gathering and project kick-off, so from the outset the
      development team needed to adapt to ongoing change. Their Agile approach
      not only suited the development group to meet this challenge, but
      offered other advantages: working demonstrations every two weeks,
      ability to reprioritize requirements along the way, and high visibility
      of progress.

      Adjustments to the Agile focus were needed because of the regulated
      environment - including compliance requirements and formal review /
      sign-off just before UAT, after the final sprint - but these proved
      minor compared to the benefits of flexibility and transparency. Key
      elements of the project's success were: (a) planning and developing in
      two-week increments, (b) dedicated project manager, (c) co-location of
      the entire team (business analysts, developers, testers, and others),
      (c) close collaboration between the development team and the business,
      (d) ongoing exploratory testing by users, (e) involvement of validation
      experts from very early in the project.

      Our Speaker:
      Amir ElFar has more than 15 years of Information Technology experience
      with a focus on infrastructure architecture and development management.
      Before joining MedAvante, Amir was the VP of Network Services at IDT, a
      Fortune 1000 multinational communications company headquartered in
      Newark, NJ. At IDT, Amir managed a staff of more than 85 professionals,
      overseeing all aspects of IP voice/data, systems and storage
      engineering, databases, information security, desktop support, and 24/7
      global network operations. He provided oversight for several large-scale
      global projects, and was responsible for all aspects of IT strategic
      planning for more than 100 locations across North America, Europe,
      Middle East, Asia, and Latin America.

      Amir holds a BS in Computer Science from New Jersey City University and
      an EMBA from New Jersey Institute of Technology.

      -------------------
      Upcoming meetings:

      New 1-day Course from Agile Bazaar
      An Integral Framework for Leading Agile/Lean Capabilities
      With Bud Phillips and Michael Hamman

      We?re excited that we've got Bud Phillips and Michael Hamman scheduled
      to give a full-day version of the workshop that was such a hit at the
      Agile 2009 conference.

      Look what attendees had to say about it:

      * "I expect to put what I learned here into practice immediately. This
      session alone was worth the price of the conference."
      * "Best workshop I've attended so far! Very real, usable tools, approaches,
      philosophies for the Agile Leader - well worth the 3 hours."
      * "By far the best talk I've heard, not just at this conference but in
      general."
      * "This had real substance - not a topic very many could present
      authoritatively."
      * "Best session I've heard so far! Missing link between Agile,
      collective consciousness, and the art of leading teams."

      Senior managers, directors and executives will find this one-day course
      extremely valuable. It does not repeat any of the training in the Scrum
      certification courses, or even the lean courses offered by the
      Poppendiecks and others.

      Instead, it is all based on the actual experiences of executives
      personally leading lean and agile change from the top. Bud and Michael
      provide a thinking framework that helps execs to monitor what matters
      and avoid getting distracted by what doesn't. Participants will start
      creating their own plans for change leadership right there in the course.

      When: Friday, February 26, 2010 8:30am - 5:00pm
      Where: DoubleTree hotel, Waltham, MA
      Cost: $385.00 includes continental breakfast and lunch

      Sponsored by New England Agile Bazaar
      To Register: Visit www.agilebazaar.org

      Thursday, 03/04/10: Chris Sterling

      Thursday, 04/01/10: Mario Moreira

      Please visit Agile Bazaar website for more details and to register for
      the course.

      -------------------
      About Agile Bazaar:
      New England Agile Bazaar is the leading community of Agile enthusiasts,
      practitioners and learners in New England. Based in Boston, we are
      committed to fostering a greater knowledge of Agile values and
      practices. We are a learning community focused on broadening our own
      understanding as well as spreading that knowledge to the broader
      community of professionals in the area.

      New England Agile Bazaar is both an Agile Alliance affiliate and an ACM
      chapter.

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      781 301 1822 US mobile
      nancyv@...

      http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
      and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide