Re: [XP] release frequency > iteration frequency

  • D.AndrĂ© Dhondt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2010
      On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:05 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > That's really interesting. I wonder how many companies are using the
      > open source model where there is a "stable" version available all
      > packaged up, a more frequent (perhaps nightly) beta release, and a
      > directly checked out from source control version.

      When I was working at PT (name withheld for NDA's sake), we released from
      trunk only, on average once per business day except Fridays (with week-long
      iterations). Our definition of done had evolved to "we've gained
      end-user/customer approval of the story card from their own workstation".
      Without reaching this level of done, we'd observed what we called
      "deployment debt". Just FYI, some of our apps were desktop-based, others
      web, others client/server, but in all cases we hadn't fully automated
      releases... it tended to be a couple invocations of some scripts to make it
      go live, and then end-user relaunches of desktop apps that prompted for
      permission to upgrade.

      --
      D. André Dhondt
      http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/

      Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
      Mentor/be mentored: the Agile Skills Project
      https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/