Re: [XP] Re: is XP adapted for Business Intelligence applications

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9, 2010
      On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

      > loicmidy wrote:
      >
      > > Our current methodology is faterfall. Here are ours main problems with it:
      > > 1 : we have a long study phase at the beginning of each project : between 1 year and 1 year and a half. Consequences : the duration of the project is long + the managers like me have little visibility during this phase. I hope to slash this phase to 6 month at maximum.
      > > 2 : our customer are our statisticiens and they often ask for features that in fact they don't nead (we see that in the end). By giving frequent feedback to ours statisticiens and by prioritizinf features I hope we won't developp useless features.
      >
      > This is why one Ward Cunningham just tweeted "Estimating is the non-problem that
      > know-nothings spent decades trying to solve."

      Yeah. I had to retweet that one myself.

      > I would have been more gentle to your waterfallers...

      I sat in on a meeting yesterday (Fri) where one of the teams my
      colleague is coaching was trying to understand how to estimate. It was
      very painful. I made the point that they needed to do their best
      according to what they already seemed to understand, that their
      estimates would still be wrong, but that it would all work out over
      time. They looked at me like I was speaking some alien language (Which
      I suppose isn't far from the truth.)