Re: [XP] is XP adapted for Business Intelligence applications

  • John Roth
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
      JeffGrigg wrote:

      > [After all these years, it does seem that my posts are now moderated.
      > How interesting. I do think that my contributions are constructive.]

      I checked, and you've got the same status as all other members.
      I'm certainly not seeing any moderation messages for you, or
      any other member outside of the usual first post moderation.

      We seem to have a problem with timely delivery of messages. I've
      noticed it on this and on other Yahoo groups I'm a member of.
      I've seen some messages take as long as a couple of days to
      clear whatever process Yahoo uses, and it's been going on for
      several months.

      John Roth
      Moderator.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010
        Hello, JeffGrigg. On Tuesday, January 5, 2010, at 8:02:21 AM, you
        wrote:

        > [After all these years, it does seem that my posts are now
        > moderated. How interesting. I do think that my contributions are constructive.]

        Me too, and I'm not aware of any moderation (on my part). Did you
        say F#$% or something? :)

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
      • JeffGrigg
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2010

          --- Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
          > Me too, and I'm not aware of any moderation (on my part).
          > Did you say F#$% or something? :)

          No. But I might, if it takes several days to post a message! ;->

          Perhaps my previous posts just got lost in some bit-bucket. Bother!
          :-[
        • D.AndrĂ© Dhondt
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 6, 2010

            > > That said, it is certainly possible to do TDD for procedural
            > > code including PL/SQL.

            In my experience with DSS and T-SQL, TDD doesn't make a lot of sense for a
            4GL like SQL, which doesn't really specify what we're going to do in a unit
            way. We added tests, but they don't have the same kind of coverage as UTs.
            Scaled-down dev/test databases don't make much sense either, since we
            didn't really know what records the query was going to fetch, nor what the
            performance implications would be, until we ran it in the production
            environment. Even the execution paths turned out different on tables with
            different statistics.

            One of the aims of TDD is to make sure our units are right--that they are
            what we intended. What we found is that by using smaller chunks, e.g.,
            'extracting method' in our server-side code as much as possible, we
            clarified our intent, we could add some integration tests/functional
            tests/FIT tests, and basically we got more confidence in our database-side
            code. We also found that by clarifying intent, we could simplify the
            existing code, and that made significant gains in performance. Regression
            testing was almost entirely manual, though.

            Still, the biggest concern with db-side changes had to do with performance,
            and we just couldn't find a way to provide sufficient test coverage for
            that. So our strategy (there is a book written on this subject, db
            refactoring or something, but I never read it) ended up being a strangler
            pattern--isolate the functionality that needed to be on the database, add
            some functional tests, and then just don't touch it unless it's important
            enough to test on the production servers....

            --
            D. André Dhondt
            mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

            Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/
            Mentor/be mentored: the Agile Skills Project
            https://sites.google.com/site/agileskillsprojectwiki/

          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 9, 2010
              loicmidy wrote:

              > Our current methodology is faterfall. Here are ours main problems with it:
              > 1 : we have a long study phase at the beginning of each project : between 1 year and 1 year and a half. Consequences : the duration of the project is long + the managers like me have little visibility during this phase. I hope to slash this phase to 6 month at maximum.
              > 2 : our customer are our statisticiens and they often ask for features that in fact they don't nead (we see that in the end). By giving frequent feedback to ours statisticiens and by prioritizinf features I hope we won't developp useless features.

              This is why one Ward Cunningham just tweeted "Estimating is the non-problem that
              know-nothings spent decades trying to solve."

              I would have been more gentle to your waterfallers...
            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 9, 2010
                On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Phlip <phlip2005@...> wrote:

                > loicmidy wrote:
                >
                > > Our current methodology is faterfall. Here are ours main problems with it:
                > > 1 : we have a long study phase at the beginning of each project : between 1 year and 1 year and a half. Consequences : the duration of the project is long + the managers like me have little visibility during this phase. I hope to slash this phase to 6 month at maximum.
                > > 2 : our customer are our statisticiens and they often ask for features that in fact they don't nead (we see that in the end). By giving frequent feedback to ours statisticiens and by prioritizinf features I hope we won't developp useless features.
                >
                > This is why one Ward Cunningham just tweeted "Estimating is the non-problem that
                > know-nothings spent decades trying to solve."

                Yeah. I had to retweet that one myself.

                > I would have been more gentle to your waterfallers...

                I sat in on a meeting yesterday (Fri) where one of the teams my
                colleague is coaching was trying to understand how to estimate. It was
                very painful. I made the point that they needed to do their best
                according to what they already seemed to understand, that their
                estimates would still be wrong, but that it would all work out over
                time. They looked at me like I was speaking some alien language (Which
                I suppose isn't far from the truth.)