[ANN] Agile Bazaar Jan 7th - Mary Poppendieck to speak, Boston area

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2009
      What: New England Agile Bazaar December meeting

      Topic: The Leadership Team and The Software Crisis: A Cautionary Tale
      Speaker: Mary Poppendieck

      When: Thursday Jan 7, 6 - 9pm
      Where: Constant Contact offices, Waltham MA just off 128
      Cost: Free including food, courtesy of our sponsors

      *** SPONSORS ***
      Avid, http://www.avid.com/
      Big Visible Solutions, http://www.bigvisible.com/
      Constant Contact, http://www.constantcontact.com/
      Rally, http://www.rallydev.com/
      AccuRev, http://www.accurev.com/
      Lean-Agile Partners, http://www.leanagilepartners.com/
      ****************

      Details and RSVP at http://www.agilebazaar.org

      Topic Abstract:
      It's a classic story. Software costs too much, takes too long, and
      despite heroic efforts, customers are still not happy. Many leadership
      teams have wrestled with these problems, and many solutions have been
      tried. This session will not propose any silver bullets, but it will
      provide some useful ways to frame the problem. We will follow a large
      company as it attempts to turn theory into practice, uncover barriers to
      sustainable change, and look in unexpected places for the root cause of
      the software crisis. Finally, we will discuss governance and the role of
      the leadership team in developing software-intensive systems.

      Our Speaker:
      Mary Poppendieck has been in the Information Technology industry for
      over thirty years. She has managed software development, supply chain
      management, manufacturing operations, and new product development. She
      spearheaded the implementation of a Just-in-Time system in a 3M video
      tape manufacturing plant and led new product development teams,
      commercializing products ranging from digital controllers to 3M Light
      Fiberâ„¢. Mary is a popular writer and speaker, and coauthor of the book
      Lean Software Development, which was awarded the Software Development
      Productivity Award in 2004. A sequel, Implementing Lean Software
      Development, was published in 2006. A third book, Leading Lean Software
      Development, was published in November, 2009.

      Our February 4 meeting will feature Amir Elfar of MedAvante

      Save the date! More details at http://www.agilebazaar.org

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      781 301 1822 US mobile
      nancyv@...

      http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
      and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide