Re: [XP] balancing the pair in pair programming

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 3, 2009
      zaidoun alzoabi wrote:

      > Thanx for your responses,
      >
      > I do agree that frequent swap is very important to balance the pairs and to enhance knowldge sharing amongst all, but what if swapping was not easy. In most of the projects I have worked for, the team was geographically separated, at least into two places that are 2 miles away, with poor Internet connection. How can I have this frequent swap???

      If you can manage to pair, then setting up the swapping shouldn't be
      hard. For example, you could agree to a regular coding schedule (one
      team I work with does pairing 10:15-12:15, 1:30-3:30, and 3:45-5:45) and
      coordinate before each session via IRC or some other group chat tool.

      However, the poor Internet connection may be a killer. You could try
      pairing only within the office, and then swapping people around offices.
      Personally, though, I'd just pay up for a unified office space; the
      waste of bad code or slowed development is generally much more expensive
      than the cost of fixing a bad environment.

      > [...] but what we had to do is that let the junior be involved more in customer collaboration, where the expert is more involved in writing the code, the junior one was sitting beside and the irony is that the junior helped in quality assurance, as he has better collaboration with the customer.

      That worries me. If the keyboard doesn't change hands at least a few
      times an hour, then you're not doing pair programming. That's just one
      guy programming and somebody else sitting around. Both developers should
      be involved in customer collaboration, and both should have substantial
      keyboard time.

      William
    • thycotic
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 19, 2009
        > In my experience I found that the expert-junior is the best
        > combination. It does increase the skill level of both, but what we
        > had to do is that let the junior be involved more in customer
        > collaboration, where the expert is more involved in writing the
        > code, the junior one was sitting beside and the irony is that the
        > junior helped in quality assurance, as he has better collaboration
        > with the customer.

        Some ideas here:
        http://agileshout.com/questions/15/what-is-the-best-match-for-pair-programming-beginner-expert-beginner-beginner