Re: [XP] balancing the pair in pair programming

  • D. AndrĂ© Dhondt
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009
      On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM, zdnfa <zdnfa@...> wrote:

      > One of the issue I have come thru is how to make up pairs. I mean how do we
      > for the pairs

      Since pairs will probably swap out 2+ times per day, don't sweat the
      decision on who should pair with who. Focus on finding a way to make
      meaningful progress, then let the next pair re-evaluate where the code
      should go next.

      Yet, do we face a case where the two expert may face some competetion? will
      > this competetion be counterproductive?
      >
      > Competition of ideas is a great advantage of pairing--the pair may come up
      with something no individual could have discovered. Sometimes this
      competition is counterproductive--that's why it can help to have a
      facilitator(coach) to de-escalate discussions and keep them focussed on the
      ideas, rather than getting personal. Competition of ideas can come from
      novice-expert as well as expert-expert pairs... and should.

    • thycotic
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 19, 2009
        > In my experience I found that the expert-junior is the best
        > combination. It does increase the skill level of both, but what we
        > had to do is that let the junior be involved more in customer
        > collaboration, where the expert is more involved in writing the
        > code, the junior one was sitting beside and the irony is that the
        > junior helped in quality assurance, as he has better collaboration
        > with the customer.

        Some ideas here:
        http://agileshout.com/questions/15/what-is-the-best-match-for-pair-programming-beginner-expert-beginner-beginner